330 peninsula

uchin

Sponsor
Its time to get a larger tank a 330 gallon. The new aquarium will be 72x44x24" peninsula style room divider with external overflow built by Armondo at Planet Aquaiums. [smilie=smile.gif]

Nice. Where's the pics? And I'm guessing that will take you two weeks to fill with corals.

pics to come of coarse [smilie=nerd.gif] ...tank will be in the middle of the fish room. since running out of room and needing to give the corals room to grow i decide to go with something with three sides. the tank should be in place in five weeks.
my first question is should i run some ventilation? the room is 12'x28' with 10' ceiling and i can run my dehumidifier.

Getting the tank through franks tank. Want to go with a external skimmer maybe the reef octopus. For lighting my existing 60" eight bulb powermoduale t5 with rapid led one the sides. My main focus for lighting is to keep is mainly in the center of the tank. Since having a mixed reef with chalice and lps that dont like a lot of light. But the sps will be getting blasted. Cant waite to aquascape.

Sounds like a good plan. Have you looked into an air-exchanger, rather than a dehumidifier? It may be more economical for a tank that size.

ill ask my ac friend jeff about the air exchanger. my fish room is open with out a door. not sure how well this will work. one of the downsides to aquariums is the humidity esp in the summer. also will have the chiller running in the garage to help with heat.

This is an example of how the overflow will look.
arumu2ud.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

@uchin wrote:
This is an example of how the overflow will look.[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/27/arumu2ud.jpg[/img] alt=""> Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2 said:
Have planet make the over flow cover like I told you as it is a pain to clean the over flow teeth from experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pampee you just gave a indea. ill ask them to make the over flow teeth removable. could take out and give a good vinegar bath when coraline builds up.

Cool titus..I decided to go with vertex alpha 300 skimmer. Im not familiar with external skimmer and dont even know how to plumb them.

I would suggest having the sump and ext skimmer inside of a drip pan made for inside the stand. Also add a ALD module for the apex to shutdown the skimmer if water is detected in the drip pan.

Cheers,

Bimmerz I should of made it more clear...im going with internal skimmer. Will add a float switch in the sump to shut off skimmer when water level rise.

@uchin wrote:
Bimmerz I should of made it more clear...im going with internal skimmer. Will add a float switch in the sump to shut off skimmer when water level rise. said:
Understood. I would still suggest a drip pan and ALD module to complement the float switch in the sump. Make sure to put some kind of guard around the float and I would use two seperate float switches to guard against a single point of failure. Installing a float switch inside the skimmer cup is another option that will only shut down the skimmer, if it fill's up for whatever reason.

Cheers,

Lance advised me adding the float inside the collection cup not that great of idea. Skimmate will build up making it stick. I will make a a stand pan with wood and painted with sealer.

@uchin wrote:
Lance advised me adding the float inside the collection cup not that great of idea. Skimmate will build up making it stick. I will make a a stand pan with wood and painted with sealer. said:
It's worked for me for about 5 years and is the only place I use a float switch, I clean it when I empty my skimmer cup. Float switches in general are prone to failure which is why you should never trust only one on anything critical. As always YMMV

Cheers,

I would have the overflow teeth even with the tank and permanent. then its not hard to clean. I have no issues with mine. I have an extra drip pan if you are interested that would fit your build. Its made a PVC. I use a float valve in my sump for maintaining the water in my aquarium. A lot of people frown on that, but I love it. Have had no issues. I have my Apex monitor the drip pan in case I get a water leak.

Over time acrylic will cake up coraline algae..dont want it esp on the over flow. Im hoping the removable grill can be done.