2nd Halide Bulb blown?

monisa

Premium Member
Attached to a CoralVue 250W electronic ballast, I just blew my second bulb in 2 Days, darn it.

Can anyone think of what maybe causing this? :cry:

I have to purchase a new bulb again, but I have 2 old bulbs left to test with.

Your valuable input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Is there any physical damage to the bulbs or do they just refuse to fire? Are you sure the bulbs are the right wattage? Worst case, you can contact David at CoralVue to see what he suggests.

@monisa wrote:

The bulbs are the correct wattage for sure.

The first bulb wouldn't fire, looked burnt when removing it. The second fired on yesterday, today I come back to it and it wouldn't fire up, the bulb has like a black burn inside of it.

What brand bulb?

Coralvue ballasts take a while to restart. Have you tried the burnt bulb on another ballast

Make sure you do not touch the bulb with your hands. The oil from your hands could cause problems.

i second trying the blown bulbs with the old ballast to make sure you just dont have a bad ballast. when bulbs age it will look like theres crap all in the inside if its black black then you might have a problem. the ballast might not be pumping out enough power to fire the bulb. if you want i have some old XMs you can test out if you want i know they fire because ive just fired them about 3weeks ago to test out my new lumatek ballast or your welcome to try and fire your old bulbs with my lumatek to see if you have a bad ballast.

I will test the "bad" bulb on the other ballast that is firing correctly, then perhaps I could conclude if the ballast is not supplying enough power.

Man all I seem to be doing with this tank is troubleshooting on every turn I make. Plus the tank is taking forever to cycle as I drilled the live rocks to place them through rods, pray for me, please.

So I have determined that the "blown" bulb is not really blown, it doesn't fire on the ballast!

I placed one in, it didn't fire up, placed a second one in, it fired for a day, now it's not firing again.

So it's the Coralvue E Ballast, i need to see if they come with a warranty or not, otherwise, I'll need a ballast. Aagh!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!, turned out that a wire between the ballast and the bulb was making intermittent contact, rather than full contact.

Ballast is now firing both bulbs thought to be "blown". :D

Thanks all for sharing your T.Shooting skills.