250W or 400W MH?

I'm putting together my new tank and I'm having trouble making a final decision on the lighting.

Tank is 60x24x31 I will have clams on bottom, SPS in upper third, LPS mid level, zoas on lower portion and my RBTA about 1/2 way down.

I want to go with 2 14k MH fixtures w/ no actinic supplimation.

So would you go with 2 250W fixtures or 2 400W fixtures? Why?

Thanks

It would depend on how high you will have the lights mounted. If for instance you hand a couple of 400 watt pendants 10 or so inches from the water, that would give a good light spread across the tank and also penetrate to the bottom. You could get away with a couple of 250 watt lights mounted closer but not get the spread, but they would handle whatever you want to put in there. It also makes a difference if you are talking about hqi's or regular ballasts.

I am swithching over from 2 250W 15,000K to 2 400W 10,000K. I do supplement with acitinic VHO so I understand why you would go with 14K. The growth of the SPS is accelerated with the 400W so hence my switch IMHO..

Your RBTA wil be placed wherever it feels like being placed :D
They tend to pick their own spot.

I think I have decided to go with the 250's.
I do not want a massive canopy and I think I can arrange my corals so that the ones that need the most light will be near the top. Plus it will save about $15/month on electricity.
It is just hard to pass up the extra wattage for a mear $30! :twisted: