220 Gal In-wall SPS dominated Reef tank

Had some day offs this week for the Thanksgiving week, and this all I've done - making videos of my reef tank! Haven't done one for a while since my TOTM on reefcentral in 2007 anyway. I made these video with my iPhone5 - not the best quality video camera but not bad I think. Some info on the tank: 220gal, SPS dominated, started in July 2004. Current lighting is two 400w Radium MH on the sides and a 72-bulb Cree LEDs pendant in the middle. This LED pendant made by Mike aka thereefranch last month. It used to be a 400W Ushio 12K bulb in the middle. Tank has 50 gal sump and 40 gal frag tank connected to it, old PM style skimmer, and dual calcium reactor.
Hope you enjoy the videos.

Front View
http://youtu.be/qOLoHNmXooQ

Top View (more corals to see from this view)
http://youtu.be/qOLoHNmXooQ

Thanks. And yeah I'm happy that my 3 angels (queen, emperor and flame back ) and 3 pairs of clowns all get along just fine!

This is how I want my tank to look. Would like some tips if you could PM me about what you have done to get such good growth from SPS. I just made the switch from softies to SPS and Zoas only tank.

@Burbarry wrote:
This is how I want my tank to look. Would like some tips if you could PM me about what you have done to get such good growth from SPS. I just made the switch from softies to SPS and Zoas only tank. said:
The key to good SPS husbandry is stability and patient. Easily said but very hard to accomplished - I know :) If you can keep your tank dKh and temperature stable, then give it some time then the SPS will eventuall take off. Give them some good flow and lighting to promote growth.

I don't use much fancied equipment in my tank. What helps it is the longevity and stability. The equipment I use are mostly old technology.
-For example, the skimmer is just an knock-off of the old style PM skimmer built by a local reefer.
- I run carbon on the tank, but i only replace the carbon every 3-4 months.. so may not really effective.
- The makeup water is RO water, not DI eventhough some would argue DI water is the must.
- I have a dual chamber calc reactor using ARO media. And also have to add by hand some calcium chloride powder every week to keep up with the consumption. The calc powder is from Dow Flake saltbucket that a local reefer bought from a Home Depot up in New Jersey 5 yrs ago. It may not be as pure as the Calc u get from hobby vendors, but it works for me!
- To keep the dKh stable, I just use the Armstrong Baking Soda boxes from Walmart.
- Magnesium dosing come from Epson salt (magnesium sulfate) from Walmart also. I also dose BRS magnesium chloride some time. its cheap also.

Hope this helps:)

Very nice did not know baking soda and salt would work in saltwater tank. Might have to look into a doser for my tank to keep it under control.

Hey Quoc!

Tank looks great! I was wondering if you were still in the hobby! Glad to see you are and happier to see that your tank is jamming!

Super nice aquarium, and full of beautifull corals. Nice to hear all the fancy equipment is optional if good husbandry is in effect. Does the Queen Angelfish eat or bother your corals?

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
Super nice aquarium said:
The angel did nip at one of the gorgonians frag I got from MACNA for the 1st week. She doesnt do that much frequent anymore so the gorg seems to be doing ok now. Other than that she doesn't mess with other corals ( LPS and SPS), so I'm crossing my fingers:)