175g Zoa Lagoon build

J.Davis

Membership Expired
I picked up a 48x48x17 tank a couple of weeks ago... been driving me nuts trying to visualize a finished system. Because of my Man-cave layout, one side will be against a wall... no center of the room tank. With that part established, I drilled it for back corner overflows. I did add an extra hole for WC drain line. My initial thought is a huge Zoa Garden with a large school of Anthias. What would you do? No Volcanos! Seriously.

I second Brian on this one. Is be all over a rock structure coming out of water. YouTube the volcano tank. I think so many things can be done using that idea.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

On a more serious note, you could do species only islands in it, another member here did two species only tanks with nems and clams that was very cool, you could realistically have 2 or 3 islands in that size tank with different thems, Zoas/clams/nems. Check out these threads, the clam one is actually a small, low profile cube that looked really cool in person. I like the idea of a lot of anthias or even two schools, anthias and chromis.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=42875&p=403824#p403824

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=49425&start=120#p432280

Also, if you have never seen Steve weast tank, it's a large cube that could give you some good ideas. It was really quite amazing and is where the sherman rose anemone originally came from - http://www.oregonreef.com/index.html

That is too shallow of a tank for anthias they will jump out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno about Brian but i was serious about a rock structure out of water. I think its a neat idea. I encourage you to check it out. The species thing sounds cool though.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Some great ideas guys. I MAY have some portion of rock extending barely above the surface with a small feed. I just don't want it to be the focal point. The clam tank thread was GREAT. Love clams myself. I've about decided on a semi-circular rock structure with tabling shelves that get lower as they reach the front. Dominated by Zoas and a select few SPS. My 12" Derasa will sit as the center piece. I'm going for peaceful fish, nothing that will be aggressive. I'm still stuck on Anthias. I like the Waitei Anthias.. maybe a school of 10-12. A few Purple Firefish? Pearly or Bluespot Jawfish? (Miss them!) All jumpers I know! All fish that wouldn't make it in my 200. Very active tank! My Black Clown pair & tiny Regal Tang will make thier way over. A Mandarin of course, along with several Cleaner & Fire Shimp. Changes to fish selection can still be made.. plenty of time yet. Well I got the picture started in my head. Time to start designing the stand and equiptment lay-out. ;)

The challenge thn for you may be to find an easy, effective way to cover the tank. Standard aluminum bracing for screens probably won't cut it for a 4x4 peice.

Refuse to cover it... other schooling fish will have to be chosen :(
Orange Lined Cardinals, Dwarf Red Spot Cardinalfish maybe? Don't much care for the PJ's or Bangi...
Blue Reef Chromis, start with 12.. end up with 2

Bulkheads were ordered. 1/2" glass is at a Weter-Jet shop to be cut for overflows. Still haven't settled on a stand design. I'm thinking 32' tall. Fitting a sizable skimmer is my main concern. I don't want any equiptment outside the stand if possible.

Mods -
Could this thread be moved to the Build Thread section? Re-titled "175g Zoa Lagoon build"
Thanks

Thanks Lance!

I'm not sure if "Lagoon" would be the proper name... but being a 48x48x17 isn't a typical reef tank.

Few pics..
Water/Leak test
52c236aa.jpg
alt="">

Gettin' hole crazy
065592c3.jpg
alt="">
Hole lay-out
590f3157.jpg
alt="">

New stand frame placing tank at 31 1/2" up
84cdffff.jpg