150g custom build

Perhaps it's a little early for this, since the project is far from done; or maybe even a little too late, since I already wish I had done some things slightly different, but here is what I am working on.

I really can't decide for sure. But I think I am going predominantly fish, with the "easy" corals.

Not sure if the forum allows for those "stories" from photobucket, but here is link. http://s48.photobucket.com/user/tcstriker/story/9287

alt="">
stand plans

alt="">
stand prepped, painted

alt="">
Stand w/ wood, doors open

alt="">
stand w/ wood doors closed

alt="">
Stand done

alt="">
Glass and take meet, and settle in.

alt="">
Plumbing plan. Its a mag 18 with One 1" drain, even though the out-put is pretty high up, I had to get creative..

alt="">
light mounting plan

alt="">
alt="">
lights mounted, tank gets water and rock!

alt="">
current aquascaping. still have ways to go but I plan on taking it veeeery slow. glass is still dirty from the silt from initial fill, i don't even have a mag float yet... is that still what the cool kids are using? Thinking about taking a couple of weeks off and let it sit as-is. That was some hard work [smilie=whew.gif]

Getting my paid membership now.. [smilie=rofl.gif]

Only thing I might have done is make it where you can raise and lower the light....either by pulleys or by moving the bars up and down.

@zaphod1 wrote:
Only thing I might have done is make it where you can raise and lower the light....either by pulleys or by moving the bars up and down. said:
I couldn't decide on whether to bolt-on the "hang man post", back or middle to allow to adjust the height, or just have it weld.. I figured the lights are now as high as they will ever need to be.. I can always "hang them" from there.

@Sherman wrote:
My personal preference was to have it with just the steel frame.. and have everything hidden in the room behind.. clean, minimalist look..... The wife won that argument.. As a compromise, I made it to where I can easily remove all the "wood skin". To go to a lighter stain, or even no wood at all (wishful thinking)... all without having to tear down the tank.

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
I like the stand! Great job said:
Thanks..
The guy that built the steel frame did an awesome job. . Everything was perfectly leveled and straight. . That was more than half of the work.. :)

This also made the wood work as easy as it can be. . . I have never built anything of this sort, and I don't have all the tools. But I just took it slow, patiently drew out each step, tried the stuff together before committing.. .. in the end I am very pleased

I will pm you his contact info. . Don't want to do any unauthorized advertising. .. lol..

He did the CAD drawing and everything for my approval.. I thought it was very affordable. .

Glass Cleaned, FINALLY!
as a side note.. I am a new believer in the wonders of Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Just working on a way to affix that to the scrapper attachment of my mag float.
First inhabitants... I know i said i would take some time off... But it is soOo hard not to play with it..
alt="">

@kthomas wrote:
your aquascaping is very nice. So many places to epoxy your frag plugs to and watch them grow. said:
Thanks..
I have had "challenges' in the past where everything was same height, or same amount of light exposure. but the corals were already attached to the rocks so I was in a way forced in what I could do. So the clean slate on this one let me create more shades, have a lot of open sand, and I can go a lot higher on top (if needed).. Gotta love that 48X30 foot print. :)

I though of building the aqua-scape with "rock climbing" in mind. different points sticking out at different heights.. Still working on it.

alt="">