Search results

1. M

Piecing together the cyanobacteria puzzle

http://www.physorg.com/news103347430.html
  2. M

red slim die off

I've been battling the cyano forever. I've literally given up on fighting it. I'd purchase the various antibiotics on the market, but they would never really do anything. So to my surprise I've had some sort of die off of the bacteria, and it isn't coming back. The only one thing I can think of...
  3. M

Shrooms - Initializing on new stones

[So how to a take a colony of my green or orange shrooms, and establish them on new stones? Can these critters be sliced up, rubber banded to rocks? How does the shroom propagate in nature?]
  4. M

New 20g in bedroom - Many questions

[So I have this spare tank just sitting around, I have been aggressively cycling water recently to get rid of nitrates, and phosphorus issues. Well I decided that instead of dumping the water down the drain, to just dump in the 20g. So I suppose the question is this: does a tank initial...
  5. M

Id please - Baby star

[This critter came up on the glass last night durring my lights dusk (actinic only) phase. Previously a sand sifter disintigrated 2 months ago, but I scooped that thing out and flushed. Now I see this guy, so my theory is a sand sifter, but do those ever climb glass? Aprox diameter is 1 cm, and...
  6. M

Zoanthid segmenting - Hamer and chisle?

[I'm having success with my zoanthids. Their matt's are expanding, new polp growth, etc. so when the matt covers a rock, do I cut the mat off, or shatter the underlying rock? just currious, and I don't intend to frag my zoa's anytime soon. I might like to watch somebody else do it first if I'm...
  7. M

Display refugium - Tips please

[I'm setup with a 46g display with an 8 gallon sump. I'm going to supplement the small sump with a refugium, but I desire something I can display. My thinking is 10-20 gallon nano'ish tank with minimal lighting (enough to grow algae), and passive plumbing. I'm not sure about this stuff though...
  8. M

My first frag attempt - Finger leather

[Hello, I have finger leather that is doing a bit too good in my tank, and I want to fragment one of the primary limbs to give more room to my alveporia. Here is a picture of the situation: alt=""> Please advise me on the proper technique to sever that left branch. I suppose an exacto blade...
  9. M

Christmas tree worm - Mine lost it's tree

[I love the filter feeders, so I decided to try the Christmas worm. MY observation the first week was this was a shy, scared creature who would fan it's feathers, then quickly retract them, and repeat. Then after the first week I noticed it lost it's feather-fans, and wouldn't come out of its...
  10. M

Scooter blenny - Difficulty level?

[I purchased a scooter blenny recently, and the LFS assured me they are easy fish to keep, very hearty, etc. I made the mistake of purchasing a Mandarin fish when I was still very new to the hobby and had to ramp-up my pod production, and supplement the tank in all sorts of ways. SO I drop in...
  11. M

First flood - From ro/di

[So my apartment maintenance guy pounded on my door the other morning, asking if my water heater was over flowing. Of course it was my ro/di drip overflowing, and unfortunately I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex. So I doubt anything significant will come of it, since it was not a...
  12. M

Clogged air muffler - For venturi air input tube

[so my skimmer was not performing to my expectations. No bubbles tonight, so I yank the muffler off, and suddenly it has venturi again. I suspect salt creep got up into the muffler. How do I clean this, vinegar & water, or replace it? For now its not having the muffler, and very loud to my...
  13. M

Night time discoveries - Slugs

[So I've been learning things, sometimes though my own experiences, and other times from this forum or the wisdom of other reefers. We all have the capability to view the night time lights out activities of our tank. So tonight I've observed for the first time some species of slug, which seems...
  14. M

Zoanthid don't look right. - How do i dip them?

[In a previous thread, somebody more experienced than I wrote:
  15. M

Black snail/slug - Hitch hicher

[Ok folks, I found an utterly black snail/slug, and I don't see any thing like it on Marks id page: http://melevsreef.com/id/kritter2.html I have taken pictures, and I realize this thread is useless without pictures, but for now I'm in FreeBSD compiling world (if you don't know what that means...
  16. M

Growing brine - Share your experiences

[Hey folks. I suspect I'm not the only one dumping baby brine shrimp in their reef habitats, so I'd like to pick your collective minds. For myself, I use an old betta fish bow, tiny heater, and a noisy bubble thing. For me, baby shrimp (nauplii) don't get the chance to live any longer than 24...
  17. M

Tank mates are stealing food.

[So my strategy so far has been to feed the tank, then feed the anemone. Well it isn't working so well because the cleaner shrimp will steal food right out of the mouth of my (purple tip) anemone. I know tthe shrimp is full of food after the feeding time, so why does it steal food? I've seen...
  18. M

Progress report - From the uber noob.

[Hey guys/gals, I'm seeing all sorts of weird bugs at night and during the illuminated hours of the day. At night I am seeing swarms of these white bugs on the glass, and wiggling critters in suspension. I'm seeing semi-translucent worms, that come out of the Fiji rocks, who seem to collect...
  19. M

Starter fish - Keep them or not?

[So I have been spending the last few weeks maturing my tank, and the water is right about where I want it: 78 Fahrenheit. 1.025 sg. 8.0 pH 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate And this is with a trickle filter (aka bio balls). I've been using a blue damsel, and a 4 stripe damsel all this time. So I...
  20. M

Calculators - Seeking experienced web devs

[Hello, I have the idea to create a repository of various calculators for the club. Anybody interested in helping me with this? Yes, I'm aware of the other calculators, and I plan to reverse engineer them, or implement them better, and make a more comprehensive collection of calculators in one...