Search results

1. J

What fish should I get?

I'm getting back into the hobby after a several year hiatus. I have a 70g tall with sump plus a 20g display fuge that has been maturing for almost 11 months. Looking to add a fish in few weeks. I plan this be a FOWLR for the first several years at least so the fish does not have to be reef safe...
  2. J

Recommend GHA eating, rock grazing fish?

Having sold my Naso tang and then following the sudden unknown death of a fish that nuked my tank a few months ago killing my fox face, yellow tang, powder blue, and humu humu I am now starting to get green hair algae and other nuisance growth since I don't have any rock grazers. The only fish...
  3. J

Was anybody else disappointed by Jorge's presentation?

Was anybody else disappointed by Jorge's presentation? It was not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.
  4. J

What is wrong with smelling ozone?

What is wrong with smelling ozone other than meaning that the generator is making more than needed? Don't we need to replenish the atmospheric ozone layer? :lol: Seriously though, why is smell ozone not desired?
  5. J

Is my pony pregnant?

Does anybody have a picture of a pregnant pony? Two of my H.E. males have pouches that look swollen with a hole in the middle. Looks a lot like a vulva. Are they pregnant? I can post a poor quality photo late tonight if needed.
  6. J

Is there a good way to DIY a ground probe?

It would be simple enough to dangle some electrical wire in the tank and stick the other end in the ground port of an outlet but I don't think my tank would care for the copper. Is there something simple and cheap I could put in the tank instead or would it be simpler to pay the few bucks and a...
  7. J

Why did the float switch stick on?

I got a pair of float switches from the group buy. I spliced it into one of the two wires of a $2 extention cord and plugged in a MJ1200. I mounted it and tested it. When I pushed the float down the MJ came on, push it up, MJ turned off. Then to simulate evaporation I drained some water and then...
  8. J

Show me pictures of your tanks electrical setup

Trying to decide what to do for my new tank setup. Show me a picture of what you did to provide the needed outlets to your tank or describe it to me.
  9. J

Getting starboard this weekend, now what? How to install?

When installing starboard do you just lay it in the bottom of the tank or do you silicone around the edges to keep detritus from getting underneath? I was thinking it would be a good idea to sterilize it not knowing where it has been. Bleach water won't damage HDPE will it? Any other tips or...
  10. J

Barebottom need more rock or beefier skimmer cause no sand?

Does going barebottom require more liverock than normal or a beefier skimmer than normal due to the lack of biological action in the sand?
  11. J

Are bare bottoms for reefs only or can it be for FOWLR also?

I have a Humu Humu and a gsm pair that are making mess of my reef by spreading sand every where. I am setting up a FOWLR now and wonder if bare bottom is plausible or if it is only possible with a lower bioload reef. If so, how would it be done? To make up for the lack of the biological...
  12. J

What else for a species/specialty tank?

I am planning to use a tank divider to split a 105g 48 x 18 x 28. One side will have sea horses. What would you put on the other side? What else is there that is usually kept in a species tank that would be interesting? It would have to be something tolerant of cooler water (75ish), low light...
  13. J

Please critique my seahorse/softy setup plans

Here's the specs: Tank: 70g tall 36x15x30 Sump: atleast 30g Skimmer: Red Sea Berlin Turbo rated for 150g Return pump: Mag 5-RC says that will give me 205gph at 5 feet Lighting: comes with 260W PC actinic, and I have a spare 175W MH and 2x96W PC. I will have to see what will fit in the canopy...
  14. J

How many TBS or cups is 200 grams of phosban?

Anybody know how many TBS or cups 200 grams of phosban is? I don't have a scale that measures that small of a weight.
  15. J

Which fish would you get rid of?

My sister says I should not ask y'all because she feels your answers will be influenced by which fish from my tank you would like in your tank but I have faith that you will give honest answers that will be in the best interest of my tank and not yours. :) I would like to get rid of 10 fish to...
  16. J

Need advanced advise to cheaply and effective lower nitrates

Most of us know the standard answers to "How to reduce nitrates". I am beyond that and need to take it to another level. You can see my bioload in my signature. I am way overstocked which I'm sure is the root of my problem. For those that don't know or as a reminder to those that did, I have a...
  17. J

Chiller in attic? - Will hot air make the chiller useless?

[I have been thinking about asking this for a while but have hesitated thinking y'all would think I was stupid, but since Serk broke the ice by asking about ballasts in the attic and got friendly and good advice, I thought I would ask about this. Can I put my chiller in the attic? My tank is...
  18. J

Help... what can i feen my lawnmower bleeny?

[Mine loves nori just like tangs.]
  19. J

What do you dose? - What to add to stimulate coral growth?

[I am looking to hear from those that have been successful at propagation or have good-excellent growth rates. I haven't had any growth at all even though I have MH and good flow. As you may remember, calicium was high and now that it is down, everything is looking better. Just looking for...
  20. J

Need a couple of id's please - Can't find them on marc's site

[What are these sesame seed looking things? I would resize but I am affraid you wouldn't be able to see them as well if I did. alt=""> alt=""> And what is this?!?! I was rearrange the rock and found it. It has a flexible yet tough membrane with what appears to be veins. alt=""> alt="">]...