Search results

1. J

Good Filtration Article from Marine Depot

This article lays out some basic pros and cons of common filtration types - I like how it's put together. It won't answer all your questions but maybe give you a ballpark of where to start asking more in depth questions. Filtration Article
  2. J

Unbelieveable tank power usage observation.

My wife brought our recent power bills to my attention. I thought I'd share. I'm still waiting on the numbers but found this quite shocking. (heh, shocking - electricity thread; I'm funny.) [Our January 2009 electricity bill was more than double our September 2009 bill.] Here are the basic...
  3. J

can a standard wall outlet handle?

It all depends. There is more than one component in the chain - the outlet, the wiring, the circuit breaker... Hard to answer that question.
  4. J

BIG worm

Barry the worm http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1165930/Barry-giant-sea-worm-discovered-aquarium-staff-mysterious-attacks-coral-reef.html?ITO=1490
  5. J

Recruiting help for a tank move for Saturday the 11th

I'd be there but I'm on call this weekend and have to sit at work...
  6. J

Eric Borneman Fragging Video

Don't know if everyone's seen this or what but some real cool ideas here. Eric - Borneman Coral Fragging video!!
  7. J

pH measurement and new monitor

Not sure where to put this but thought this would work. I just bought a Milwaukee SM101 pH monitor. I calibrated it with the enclosed 7.1 and 4.1 solutions. It has a manual scale but Milwaukee tech support says to leave it pointed straight up to the 25 degree mark for anything near room...
  8. J

Condy nem special?

I saw a tank full of condilactius (sp?) nems at the Petsmart in Rowlett for $6.99 each. They are white with maybe pink tips? and about grapefruit sized. Thought that was an amazing price for just about anything so I'd post to let others know.
  9. J

Anyone using a Reeflux 20k 150DE bulb?

I'd like to see what it looks like - I've been told great things and I'm ordering a Pheonix 14k bulb but I want to see the Reeflux 20k in use.
  10. J

Food supplements - What's good and do I need one?

I've got a new foxface rabbitfish and he has picked the tank and rock fairly clean of the stuff I wanted to get rid of. Now he really goes after the nori type seaweed I put in when it's cut into little strips. I'm wondering if I should add some kind of vitamin supplement. He goes after it...
  11. J

IceCap T5 retro kit ballast - timer help please.

I got a 24" T5 retro kit with 660-009 ballast and timer. The retro kit is prewired. I hooked up the ballast and bulbs last night to test the unit. There is no switch that I can find. When I plug in the unit, the lights come on for a second, the ballast gives a tiny 'tick' and turns off. Is...
  12. J

Chalice ID please?

Anyone know what this coral is on the right on the square plug? I got it from Zoanuts at the farmer's market. alt="">
  13. J

Tracking the status of the Dheereberries Gorgonian

OK folks. Last night I sold about 23 frags of the Blueberry Gorgonian that has become to be known as 'Dheere Berries' - I'm honored. :? The history of the blueberry gorgonian has not been that great as far as survivability in aquariums. So, I've had requests to start this thread to see if one...
  14. J

I need help - bank my corals.

I'm really frustrated. I can't seem to beat this caleurpa thing. I've got a small tank, 18 gallons. Fortunately, most of all my corals haven't been affected because they're all small frags that are mobile. There are some a couple rocks that have zoas or others attached that do have 'the...
  15. J

My Lettuce Nudibranc uhh,.. multiplied!

I have/had a lettuce nudi I'd gotten for bryopsis control - it ate like a pig and since I don't have fish, also the most entertaining and mobile thing in the tank. After a month and a half, it just disappeared. I looked in the canister filter because it had made it in there once before...
  16. J

My Light Suspention Thingy

I have a 20" Sunpod on an 18 gallon tall tank. When the fixture sits on it's legs on the tank it's really tight to get into the tank and it was a bear to lift it off, watching the cords and set it aside. Well, this is what I came up with. I had one shelf standard and bracket on the left to...
  17. J

Macro Algae ID please - no good catagory for this

I have multiple frags of this but I wanted to get an ID before posting them. alt=""> alt=""> I'd assume it's a calcium engulfing macro algae. It feels like a wet gummy bear. Once I started dosing calcium, it doubled in size in two weeks. Once I know what this is, I'll be posting some for...
  18. J

Real dumb question...

Is it a normal proceedure for reefers as part of weekly maintenance to pull every coral frag from the tank/frag rack one at a time to remove vegitation?
  19. J

Salifert Mg test isn't going high enough.

I'm trying to boost my magnesium to weaken the bryopsis. I want to get it to 1700-1800. My test kit reads at a max of 1500 and I'm currently at that level. How can I get this kit to read any higher ranges?
  20. J

Anyone used the ViaAqua Poly Reactors or HOB Phosban?

I've been looking at the idea of the hang on back media reactors and plumbing them to each other. ViaAqua is pushing their Poly reactor which has a screw on top but I don't know if the hanger is integrated on the lid or the canister. Also I can't tell if they have quick release and shut off...