Recent content by v320

1. V

Moving w Larger Systems

Here is an interesting question that was asked by one of our newer salt water enthusiasts… I thought it was an inquisitive thought and was curious to hear some of your answers. When discussing tanks size and all the trials and challenges we go through over time in this hobby, this person asked...
  2. V

Reef bugs?

Has anyone tried this stuff? What where the results? Did you continue to see stuff hatch days/weeks after you dosed? Thanks. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+18508&pcatid=18508
  3. V

Drilling a 40 Breeder?

Ok, so I'm considering drilling a 40 breeder and I was wonder how many holes I should drill and where? I'm not doing a closed loop, I just want to use a sump with the tank and dont want to use a HOB drain (don't want to take a chance with an over flow/bloackage issue). 1) I was concerned about...
  4. V

six line vs other wrasse?

Ok, so I want to add a fish to my tank for clean up/security duty. Something that will eat afews, sundial snails, and other predators. The problem I'm having is, the six line may be a bit too territorial and may cause a problem with some of my more docile fish. If I do go that route, I will...
  5. V

ID please

I noticed I was losing some of my pink zoas in qt. So tonight I just did a r/o water dip, and picked these tiny little snails off of them, that I believe were eating them. Sorry for the pic, I couldn't get a good shot any closer... Does anyone know what these might be?! I should start dipping...
  6. V

Bug Spray

Every year/6 months I usually spray for insect or have someone spray, but before I started this year I thought I'd ask: What do most of you do as far as spraying in concerned? Since I've now moved one of the smaller tanks, from last year, to an area where I usually sprayed, I'm not certain if I...
  7. V

Here we go again!

Ok - some of you may remember my ordeal with the chemical warfare concerns I was having a few weeks ago. Everything was going fine when: yesterday I come home to the very pink torch coral, that seemed to have been the culprit in the first place, completely melted (just looked like a every head...
  8. V

ID please

I just looked into the QT tank and saw these tiny little yellow creatures on a few of the rocks and on some of my zoas. My first thought was that they were sponges, but there seem to be so many of them, and they appeared so quickly. There are about 7 of them in various places. Sorry about the...
  9. V

Zoas and Leathers

Would it be ok for some zoas to come in contact with the base of a leather coral - a devil's hand? A few years back, when I first started in the hobby, I foolishly attached a devil's hand to a rock, and then planted the zoas on the same rock. Well, the zoas are starting to spread now, and I was...
  10. V

Drilling rock structures

I will be drilling my rock and using acrylic or fiber glass rods pretty soon. Is there an advantage to using one over the other? Any tips? Also, I know someone answered this on another thread awhile ago, but I can’t find the thread… What kind of base ‘rock’ should I use to attach the live rock...
  11. V

Skimmer Internal/External

Ok, just wanted to get some opinions on this... If you were setting up or have a large tank, would you prefer an external skimmer or an internal skimmer and why?! I can go either way room wise... For instance- Externally: it could leak(-), but would reduce heat (+) Internally: if it leaks it...
  12. V

Royal Gramma owners

I was wondering how many of you have had success with royal gramma, and for how long. I want to set up a mated pair, but haven’t had much success with them for extended periods of time. I have tried twice to keep them, but in both instances, they seemed to eventually perish. The first time may...
  13. V

ID please

ok, so I was smashing up a piece of live rock to make some rock rubble for my fuge and found this lil orange guy... not sure what he is... I tried to catch him, but he escaped... I don't think it is a bristle worm, but I could be wrong, as I have never seen one of these in person... I didn't get...
  14. V

Weird change in Alvapora

I've had this branching alvapora for almost 7-8 months now, and it has been doing great; however, a few days ago, I noticed that it was not opening up as much as usual. Then the next day, one head did not open. I was concerned, but just thought, perhaps, it was due to a red leg hermit crab...
  15. V

2nd floor tanks?

Do any of you have tanks on the second floor of your house? What size/weight do you recommend is the max? I know the "build" of the house has a lot of do with this answer, but I was just wondering if any of you feel there is a cut off point for your standard house in the DFW area (i.e. Pulte...