Recent content by greatwit

1. G

Clearing tank of mejanos after move

I recently purchased a tank that was overrun with Majano anemones. The tank and sump have been cleaned and rinsed with fresh water, and has been left to dry for 48 hrs. My main concern is a portion of the overflow I was unable to access. Should I be safe in adding non-infected rock and sand...
  2. G

Redesigned XM 15k

I'm looking to replace my 250W DE Phoenix 14ks since theyr'e about a year old. Currently using IceCap electronic ballast and have been pleased by the performance. Has anyone tried the newly (within last 6 months) redesigned XM 15k bulbs with a similar configuration? I know the older 15K XMS were...
  3. G

Experience with Elos test kits

I was wondering if anyone locally has tried these test kits. I was planning on buying a couple when Marine Depot starts to carry them. I have family in Italy(where these are produced), would it be cheaper for me to have them track some down and bring some with them when they come and visit in...
  4. G

how to get rid of this

Looks like diatoms. Your new rock may not have been fully cured, so you may going through an additional mini-cycle. Over time it should dissapear, but cerith snails are excellent diatom munchers. Have you checked your parameters?
  5. G

Microphoto of Tank Debris

When I was moving my tank from one room to another, I ended up with something from my live rock stuck in my finger. Well, with the help of a stereoscope I finally got it out today and took a quick picture. Let me know if anyone has an idea what it might be. Picture taken ~100x mounted in...
  6. G

Couple shots since move

Well I moved my tank from Austin a month ago, and it looks like my sps are gonna be ok. Heres a couple pics.
  7. G

Problems with cleaner shrimp

I have seen my skunk cleaner shrimp on two occasions eating away at my green ricordia polyps to the point of only a nub is left. I have also heard of them bothering some types of lps. In addition I have seen them eating the slime coat off of my green slimer. Has anyone else had similar...
  8. G

New Spider, ID if possible

Just thought I'd post a pic of a sea spider I found on a montipora last night. I was able to pick off two of them, but I'm not certain what they eat.