Zoos... - Few questions please...

[I recently got some rock from Danny (thanks again!) and it is covered with star polyps, mushrooms, and zoos. Now that all is settled from moving them in, I am getting a better idea of what all is on the rocks as they are coming out.

It appears the star polyps are growing their red bottom right over the zoos on some spots. I assume this will kill them off and so the star polyps need to be pulled off, right?

Same with the mushroom. One rock is solid zoos but mushrooms appear to be trying to take them over. How do I get them off? Just pull? I would like to move the mushrooms onto their own rock. Once removed (pull or cut?) do I just glue or net them onto the new one?

One of the larger rocks is just crowded with zoos. It looks almost to the point they are trying to kill each other out for space. Can you thin them out? If so, how do you do it without killing them all? I would like to be able to place them on smaller pieces of rock I have so for once I could have something to trade in the future. :eyebrows:

Thanks for any help! If you want some and will come help me learn this, you can mount your own as I learn! Be a good trade off for both.]

[To remove mushrooms, I use a dental tool that looks like a scoop or a chisel. You want to get under the foot and remove all of it not leaving any tissue behind.

Those guys will deflate, but recover. Put them in a bowl of gravel in your tank where flow is slow. After a week or two, you'll be able to take the individual mushrooms and superglue GEL them to any rock in your tank, because you can glue the graveled foot to LR.

I wouldn't thin the zoanthids. Just put them on the substrate or near other rock and they will spread.

GSP needs to be removed like the mushrooms. Try to get under the mat. The stuff you remove can be glued to other rock, or disposed of.]

[I would say don't dispose of anything if you do pull it off. Do what Marc said and put it in a low flow area and let it attach to some gravel. Then, when a meeting comes around, take them out, put them in a baggie with water, label bag, and bring to the meeting as a donation to the raffle.]