Zoanthiad Lighting Questions

I have had a Zoanthiad frag for about 2+ months that is not growing very fast. Where should i place it in the tank? It is currently on the sand floor but was curious if it would grow or do better closer to the light source.

FYI - I have a 105 gal tank.

thanks for any suggestions!

J

what type of lighting do you have? zoa's do okay with just light but to get them to multiply it helps to feed them.

I have an Aqualight 48 with 2 150w MH and 96w Actenic, moonlight. I want them to really multiple. They are on a plug right now. I have my calc balance good and levels are in good range on everything.

hopefully more of the zoa keppers will chime in, but I feed mine cyclopeeze. not directly but I understand it helps. Heck I've even seen mine gulp up pellet food when it falls on them.

michelle fed her zoas cyclopeeze and the pig palys she fed mysis..i use to feed cyclopeeze but now i use nicks food and just bresk it up on top of them and let it fall on them

I have had great growth from my zoas without any direct feeding. I had always presumed that light and DOMs were sufficient for them as I tend to have a lot of DOMs (dissolved organic materials; the stuff your skimmer pulls out).

Recently I decided to do more research on coral feeding and came across an article from Anthony Calfo ( http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fdreefinverts.htm ) that contained this excert:
@Anthony Calfo wrote:

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I am doing the right thing. They are just slow growing. I just was not sure if i needed to move them closer to the light source.

thanks again!

J

i feed mine marine snow but not directly and they grow out of control. But i have quite a bit of light. I did notice that when i set up my new tank vise my crappy tank the light seamed to make all the difference. I probably double my population every month or so.

I think it all depends on the zoas. Some grow really fast and some take months to do anything. Also it depends on how it was fragged. I think the ones that are allowed to grow onto adjacent rocks for fragging do a lot better than ones that are scraped off and glued to a plug. It takes a lot longer for them to heal if they are glued to a plug.

Something interesting on feeding Zoas:
I experimented with 2 clumps of the same colony (split and moved withing the tank) of small purple polyps. They were both at the same elevation, and seemed to have the same flow. I turned off the pumps twice a week and squirted one group with freshly hatched baby brine shrimp (giving my fish some too, on teh other side of the tank). The group I fed grew so fast that they overtook a neighboring group of Oranges, and now surround them.

They do seem to enjoy a bit of food every now and then...