Yep, I'm new! Should I scrap that purple stuff?

dynomonkey

Membership Expired
That purple stuff is all over the back wall of my nano, should I scrape it off?? Will it get worse? I do like the color but was just wondering if I could have too much of a purple thing.

it is up to you, but I let my whole back and one side glass (by a window) cover over. It makes a nice backdrop and imurses me in the feel of the ocean.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, but it wasn't clear from your post if you actually knew what this was. My apologies if so ; )

It's actually Coralline Algae, definitely not a harmful thing by any means. Most people like it due to the color and natural appearance.

Personally, I scrape from viewing areas, but let the back go purple.

H

One thing to keep in mind is scraping it off allows it to spread in the tank and "seed" the tank.

As others have said it is really a personal thing. I have it on my back wall and one side. Viewing areas are scraped.

Also since this is a nano the back wall is probably plastic. There is a potential of serious scratching the back wall. As Coraline can be difficult to remove once it takes hold.

I think we'll let it stay on the back, however I am concerned about it being on the intake on my nano. Does it need light to grow?