Yellow Tang Won't eat

Joe

Membership Expired
We had a parasite in our display tank, and our survivors, including our Yellow Tang, have been in QT for 7 weeks.We treated with copper for 14 days. Things went well for about 3 more weeks, then the fish in one of our QT tanks started becoming really stressed. The Tang stopped eating, and wouldn't come out from under a rock. We discovered it was a pH problem, and have added a pH buffer and have been running an air stone for the past week.For a few days the Tang seemed to do better (the pH has been close to 8); she came out and began eating again. However now she is not eating, and isn't really swimming, instead she is floating around the tank with the current, bumping into rocks and other things.We tried soaking her seaweed in garlic last night, and have tried feeding flakes and mysis shrimp. She is emaciated and we are worried about losing her soon. We've had her for 3 months. She is currently in a 10 g tank with a Firefish.

In a small tank like that with a fish that likes to swim and eat a lot, it is very important to do water changes to keep the water quality in tip top shape.  Some might say the only way to ensure proper parameters are with daily water changes.  If you are feeding a lot to get the fish to eat and the fish doesn't eat, the food will just break down and pollute the water.  Add of this to the fact that the fish hates being confined to a small place and they are bound to end up sick.  I haven't personally seen a fish recover from what you are talking about, but maybe with some water changes it is possible.  Keep the lights low and parameters stable to prevent adding additional stress to the fish.  Maybe add some fish antibiotics.  I am not a fish health expert so I can't really help with meds.  Good luck!

I would try soaking things in Selcon as a last resort if increasing the garlic doesn't help.  That said, unfortunately by the time a fish is getting blown around uncontrollably in gentle current it usually has less than 24 hours to go.