Yellow Eye Kole Tang Advice

vinaythomas

Premium Member
Hello All,I would like your advice on my new yellow eye kole tang please.I purchased him 2 weeks ago and currently he is in a 15 gallon QT ( 1.025 sg, no rock, no sand, just 3" pvc and filtration). Used DT water and filter floss that was in the sump for 3-4 months to setup QT. So far seems good. I am using ammo lock to keep the ammonia non toxic till be bacterial colony is fully established.Tang looks good, no visible spots or anything. Very shy. Had a tough time to get him to eat but is now eating Spiruline Brine shrimp and PE mysis mixed. He pokes at some algae tied on a rock but not too keen.Now I am wondering if I should do a prazipro treatment next and not do any cupramine unless I see any ich spots as this is my first time with QT and Cupramine and I am not confident this will go good.What would you recommend and for how long in QT given the way he is now.Thanks all! VT  

I've found this to be a great source of information concerning quarantine procedures and treatment. A couple of folks on here help me save a very sick Swallowtail Angelfish.https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Hi VT, If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take your tang to start eating?  I added a yellow eye kole tang and a firefish to my 20-gallon QT last Sunday. The firefish isn't too bad, but whenever the tang sees me, it hides for a while, so it's not eating.  I've seen him pecking at objects, so I know it's hungry and willing. I've been feeding pellets, flakes, and frozen, and I've even been rubberbanding nori to pieces of PVC, but I haven't seen him eat anything. I may try to find some live brine shrimp next, which I've read might get him to start eating. Thanks

It took at least 1 week-10 days i feel. I tried many different foods(NLS, rods, hikari pellets) but the only thing I was able to get it to start eating is Hikari Spirulina Brine shrimp frozen with Selcon and Kent Garlic Extreme. I have since added PE Mysis shrimp to it and he seems to be eating that as well now everytime. I recommend trying this combo and hopefully it works for you. I read live brine shrimp but have not tried that.Its been close to 4 weeks and it is still in QT and extremely shy but recently he has been more tolerant of me being in the room when feeding :)I had zero success with Nori so not feeding that at the moment till i move him to DT. RegardsVT 

Thank you, VT.  I'll pick up some Hikari brine shrimp on the way home tonight and see how that goes.  Funny thing is that I figured the firefish would be the skittish one, not the tang.