Would a Maroon Clown Pair with Percula or Oceleris?

Does anyone know if a maroon clown would pair with one of the orange variety clowns? Or even get along? My next fish purchase will be from one of the members that raise clowns...an orange one. I've always loved the look of the maroon variety with the white stripes so needed to know if they might get along? Also does anyone raise the maroon variety or have one for sale?

ya the maroon is very bold. Mine thinks hes the boss of the tank i had to put biger fish in there. Ive always been told if u have a marron u cant get another clown unless u have a really large tank ive seen others have a tomato clown with no problems if u found one that was small and tank raised he might not be so aggressive

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, guess no matter how much I would like one, for now I will stick with the perc. I'm an artist and paint, so guess the mural on my bathroom wall is as close to having a maroon as I will be able to get.

PS. please keep in mind that I painted this before I actually knew what real live rock looked like.

Very nice....

How big is your tank? If the tank is big enough, you can keep individuals or pairs together.

Thanks for the compliment, above this portion are two dolphins. About the tank, it's only a 29 gal, so don't think it would be big enough. OK, another question. In the 29 gal tank I want a clown or two with an anemone (LTA, already have this one), a royal gramma, a mandarin, a neon gobie or two, and a pygmy angel. Also some kind of shrimp, possibly peppermint as I can afford them. As a side choice perhaps a couple of blue or the pink with the black spot cromis. Would any or all of this work together? The LFS guy says yes with except perhaps the royal gramma, what do y'all think about my wish list? Or any suggestions? It will be full reef with corals too.

Keeping a mandrin is unadvisable in that size of tank, unless you can get it to eat frozen foods wich is rare. They will starve without a large population of pods.

@8x8nhl wrote:
Keeping a mandrin is unadvisable in that size of tank said:
You could buy a couple HOB filters and turn them in to refugiums and it could help, but I also agree its too small of a tank. Unless you are willin to spend lots of money on your pod population (if the mandi wont eat frozen). I really like them too but my 45g tank wont support one right now (especially with other pod eaters like Royal Grammas and my YCG).

That is a very nice painting by the way!

Thanks again, I've done some scenery work for the local civic theater and a Dr. Seuss mural in the local library chidren's room.

This tank will also have a CPR fuge, one of the ones with skimmer and everything...about 23.5" wide. I'll have either sand or reef mud with rock rubble and macro growing in there with a light on an opposite timer from the tank, so should be a pod factory. However, I know your concerns. I did keep one for three months, he was doing fine until he jumped into a filter compartment of an all in one system, I had to take it all apart just to get him out, I put him in my quarantine to recover, dosing enriched live brine daily which he loved. He then proceded to get sucked up by a power head that only has small slots no large openings, so I did not realize it would be a danger, the other fish I have had in there did not have any problem...didn't make it through that one. If not for the kamikazi lifestyle of this particular one I think he would have been fine, with my feeding enriched live brine and switching out small rocks and rock rubble, weekly from a tank that was set up to culture pods. Anyhow, thanks so much for the input, I did not realize that royal grammas fed on pods too.