Why did my peppermint die??

Get all so real quick GE was in a 20 g with a pair of clowns a cleaner shrimp and a firefish. Have had the peppermint maybe three weeks. A week ago he got pale then he went to very dark for a few days. All other fish and coral ok. DOA this morning when I turned the light on. Is there a chance I was sold the other "peppermint" that is only a coldwater shrimp? I've seen him eat but I had the cleaner shrimp first maybe bullied? I didn't notice they usually where on diff sides

they are normally pretty tough and hardy - i would expect it to have killed the cleaner, not the other way around. it sounds like you found the body, so it wasn't eaten (that can happen). its possible it wasn't a pep, but impossible to say without a photo.

I could never get a good enough pic unfortunately. Is it common for them to be mid sold? Or maybe an oddball disease? I thought moly aswell have seen the cleaner do it a few times but there was some meat left in the shell :/ all I heard was horror stories about the cleaner so didnt understand this behavior. Took a solid week to die