Why decapsulate?

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
In this thread, it explains how to decapsulate the eggs. http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=18567

I guess I'd like a little more clarification as to why? I've never done it, but don't mind trying. Does it keep the water in the hatching station less polluted? Does hatching time increase or decrease? Are you doing this so you don't have to hatch them at all?

There are actually several reasons for decapsulating. By decapsulating the BBS eggs the BBS does not use as much energy to hatch and therefore is more nutritious. You get a better hatch rate as there is not a problem with this being too weak to hatch. It also lessens your risk bringing in hydroids as they cannot survive the decapsulation process. These are a few reasons I am aware of although there may be more.

Marc,

In addition, the shell should be separated from the hatched eggs because the shell is not digestible.

If a seahorse eats the shells or unhatched eggs, its intestinal tract can be blocked... resulting in death to the animal.

Hope this helps you.

donna

besides they make easy eggs at brineshrimp direct, so heck why not used decapped.
I have a jar that is bound to last a year if I hatched every day.

Marc, I'd be more than happy to bring you some of the "Easy Eggs" to the meeting Wednesday night. You don't have to use them right away, either.
Nor do you have to worry about the decapsulating process. :)

donna

Why thank you. I have a lot of brine shrimp. Maybe 1lb or more on hand. I just thought maybe I'd look into decapsulation, if it was beneficial.

So you still are actually hatching them, not just pouring a scoop into the tank. Right?