whelk? id please

psteeleb

Premium Member
I found one of these in my seahorse tank about a few weeks ago and got rid of it - I don't know if I got a positive ID but I didn't want to take any chances

a couple weeks after that I found another one in my main and got rid of it . Now heres a third one

I can't tell but from marc's site I leaning toward whelk but the shell is covered in a slime and sand like it buries itself

unfortunatly this one in a spot that I cat get to him without moving a bunch of coral and rock

Scott - thanks even if it is bad news, and I just found another. Both difficult to get to but I will do a nightly whelk hunt till I get them.

I?m guessing they are not prolific in my tank as all four have been the same size. I now suspect that a batch of small ?? sized nassarius snails I bought a year ago in fact were these as youngins.

I was blaming my hermits for snails dieing, but now I?m pretty certain these are the main culprits. Heck, they may have even been the demise of a very nice small clam that mysteriously died. These guys are future garden fertilizer. :twisted:

Yep, its gotta go. And once you get good at spotting those, you'll see the tiny ones as well. Shell shape will match precisely.

http://melevsreef.com/id/whats_a_whelk.html
nine_whelks.jpg
alt="">

Definitely not one of my kids :) The ceriths you get from me have a very cone-shaped shell that is straight, without the roundness. And there trunks aren't nearly as long.