What time does your lights go on and off?

TheReeferBoss

Membership Expired
Hello,

It's been a few times that this question has come up to my attention, when is the best time for me to turn the lights on my tank.?

I have a 8-5 job and I like to come home and look at my tank when I get home, the only thing is that my DT is in my living room and sun light comes thru many windows that I have through out my dining room, living room etc. My lights go on at 12pm and go off at 12am.

When I leave work in the morning I see my naso tang and purple tang already out and about, so this tells me that they are only getting 6-7 hours of sleep, which kinda worries me in a sense because naturally fish get 12 hour nights in the ocean. Which brings me to my question: what time do your lights go on and off, and is your DT placed in an area were it catches light when the tank lights are not on?

P.S. Not all my fish are out when the light is off, usually my anthias, and wrasses don't come out until the lights go on, but my tangs are usually out. This makes me think that they are hitting OT in my tank on a daily bases lol

Mine come on at 1230 and turn off a 1030. Gives me plenty of time to enjoy and do maintenance when I get home.

You can also run your lights on a split schedule.

Sunrise is at 620 and sunset is at 730 right now in fiji. Wouldn't get dark until probably 830. So then it's not really 'dark' there but for maybe 10 hours, and that's not counting the moonlight. Lots of fish are still active int he moonlight. I bet the fish don't know any difference in 7 hours of 'dark' vs 10 hours of 'dark'. I wouldn't worry about it really, my light runs the same as yours with the tangs visibly active around 10am and they seem fine. My regal is going on 8 years old even, so quite strong and appears very healthy. From the side where you can see how fat she is anyways, lol.

@Heath wrote:
Mine come on at 1230 and turn off a 1030. Gives me plenty of time to enjoy and do maintenance when I get home. You can also run your lights on a split schedule. said:
@Wes wrote:
Sunrise is at 620 and sunset is at 730 right now in fiji. Wouldn't get dark until probably 830. So then it's not really 'dark' there but for maybe 10 hours said:
We'll glad to hear that, I don't feel as guilty now knowing that I'm not the only one hehehe

My lighting cycle (metal halides) run from 1pm to 9:15pm daily. VHOs run 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Moonlights from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Fish swim all the time. I was just pondering the fact that Spock never lies down to rest, and always swims all the time. I mean, always... compared to us that lie down, sit down, recline, and of course walk or run. Even late at night I see her hovering in a spot. What a life.

@Marc wrote:
My lighting cycle (metal halides) run from 1pm to 9:15pm daily. VHOs run 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Moonlights from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. Fish swim all the time. I was just pondering the fact that Spock never lies down to rest said:
Spock is your naso right? How do you know which one is a male or female?

Yes, that's correct. Males have streamers, and females do not. Thus, Spock is a she. ;)