What salt to buy

I use the Fritz RPM blue box. Mixes clear pretty quickly and is available at most LFS in the DFW area, so it’s easy to grab in a pinch. I think that’s one of the more important things to consider. Get a brand your LFS stocks. You don’t want to be in a situation where you need to do an emergency water change and have to wait for your online order to arrive or stress the tank more with a different mixture because you had to go out and buy a different brand. Good luck and I think you’ll be happy making your own!

Fritz blue box here also. Sold @ DNA. If you plan on filling the tank with corals you may consider Fritz Red aswell. (Higher cal/alk/Mag concentration)

Hey guys. Just wondering what is a good salt to buy. Im finally starting to make my own. Thank god no more lugging jugs! Lol. Just wondering what do yall use that has been good for you.
It is best to decide what you want to keep your parameters at and then choose a salt that best matches those parameters. It makes keeping those parameters in check a lot easier. Most salt manufacturers list what their salt should mix at parameter wise. Some manufacturers make more than 1 salt to cater to different reefer's needs.

Thanks Opus. I went ahead and bought the fritz. Guess ill give this a try and see what happens. Guess my salt experimenting will begin . Fingers crossed .

@JMreef I recommend testing each new batch of new saltwater. Parameters can vary or dramatically vary if dry salt isn't mixed. You can avoid that if you mix large vats of saltwater using all the salt at once. Through experience I accidentally gave my corals alk swings and took magnesium levels down to 1100. Had I known what I knew today I would have tested and adjusted levels through dosing.

@JMreef I recommend testing each new batch of new saltwater. Parameters can vary or dramatically vary if dry salt isn't mixed. You can avoid that if you mix large vats of saltwater using all the salt at once. Through experience I accidentally gave my corals alk swings and took magnesium levels down to 1100. Had I known what I knew today I would have tested and adjusted levels through dosing.
I let mine mix in a large barrel over night with a pump. Corals are looking great so far 👍🏼😀

I let mine mix in a large barrel over night with a pump. Corals are looking great so far 👍🏼😀
Thats great! Finally finished my fritz salt so I'll get to try red sea coral pro salt mix now. I'll just have to slowly adjust the tank to a higher alkalinity. I'm hoping the new saltwater mixes up to parameters advertised each time I make a new batch. Fritz has been good so far. I'm trying other salts since prices have been increasing and the difference in price has shrunk. No reason not to try other salts because most my salt mixes have mixed differently each time.