What pump to use - New tank setup

[I am helping a newbie set up a 65g he just picked up from Barry. The sump has a bulk head so we could use either an external pump or we could plug it and go submersible. The return has a SCWD with 3/4 inch pvc. What pump would y'all recommend? I am new to the sump concept myself so I don't know much about the various options.]

[If money is no object Iwaki is the way to go. Japanese type.

If noise is the issue, Coralife Velocity pumps are the way to go, though they do heat the water a bit.

I've been hearing good things about the dolphin ampmasters as far as tempatures go.

I'd go external over internal any day. Less heat is transfered directly to the water that way.]

[If you have the money then external is the way to go. All the recommendations Mark made are right on. I'm not too sure about the Ampmaster though. I didn't think they made a pump with inlet/outlet sizes smalled than 1.5". A nice compromise to the would be a GenX Mak4. They are similar in design as the Iwaki but don't cost as much and IMHO are not near as loud.]

[Ahh thanks David, I don't know much about the ampmasters, but I have been reading good things.

There is a new company Posiden(sp) which looks like they have taken over the velocity line.

I (and I belive Marc too) have been really happy with my Mag run external as well, if money is a big concern.]

[Yes, I've never had a problem running a Mag externally.]