What is this??

Dewana

Membership Expired
Two questions... Can anyone tell me what this is coating this rock for one, is it something I need to get rid of, and two, what is this little round thing hanging out on it?

The white stuff looks like sand, perhaps placed there by fish or powerhead. It happened to me with my powerheads; before final placement, I had a vortex causing sand everywhere. The other round thing loks like a snail but hard to tell from the photo.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

to my bad eyes, it looks like a snail. How is the powerdy stuff getting all over? Thru the water (I wanted to say "air") if so, check your calcium for possible precip. if it's just appearing it looks like "dried slime" but something that was mad in the past and slimed up. Perhaps it is something from the frag swap? I noticed you dipped the frags, maybe just some reaction to that?

It's not sand, that was my first thought too when I seen it, but it's like crusted on there, it will flake off if you scrap it. I noticed it before the swap so it's nothing from that. It's just on a couple of rocks. The shell of this thing is almost flat and one sided it. It's like attached to the rock. Looks like I would have to pry it off.

dead coraline should not attach. Is that area getting some good flow? have you scrapped any from your tank?

The flow is actually really good all over. We created enough space all the way around the rock and through it that it's pretty open. I know it's hard to see in pictures, but our six line can get from one end of the tank to the other without ever leaving the rock. I haven't scraped any because I don't know what it is and didn't want to cause a bigger problem. I have watched a crab, only one, and only once on it and scraped some off. None of the snails or crabs mess with that rock at all.