what is this stuff that is inside of my coral ?

bump1

Membership Expired
I had this huge coral & I had to have the space so I took it out of the tank & put it into a icechest to cut it up. Well the first cut I made I found what looks like a big air pocket. Then after a few more cuts I found these holes that were full of a green mush looking stuff. The coral was very healthy when I cut it up. The new corals are now puffed up & are all doing great. You wouldnt even know that they have have just been wacked on.

In the first picture you can see how messy the water got after I cut one open that had the green stuff in it. Turned the water nasty really fast.

What is this green/black stuff inside this coral & why was one hole empty ?

Here are the fragged corals in my sump for now. I will move them to there new home in another day or two tops. My shimmer has been going nuts, a gallon a day for 3 days now.

The 3ed picture is of another coral that is going to be cut up soon. It has gotten so big it has started to split apart all on its own & has attached to alto of the other rock around it. It will be harder to get this guy out of the tank. I bet I will have to do some cutting inside the tank. I hope I can get it out so I don't have to. Sorry the flash was on.

The hole is just part of the coral's growth and fine and healthy. The black stuff I do actually have a guess at what it is, but I've no idea how to technically explain it. Someone talked about it on another forum. If you take a large piece of established LR and smash it you will find the same stuff. It's. . part of the good bacteria that we want in our tanks. It's like. . a big die off of the bacteria, but the new healthy and alive stuff lives on it and it builds up.

Anyhow :roll: It's okay stuff just part of the normal things that grow in our reefs. I'm almost positive that's what it is. I would just wash it off though just to be on the safe side. Now that you exposed it.

It was nasty thats for sure.

Thanks Jag

Its good to know its all good becouse I put them all back into the tanks sump. I had no where else to put them all. I thought it would be ok becouse it was in them & they/it was doing so well I couldnt see it being bad.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry I can't be more scientific on what it was. I'll look up the threads on the other board and see if I can't quote some stuff. I thought for sure someone else would know though. :)

What is this green/black stuff inside this coral & why was one hole empty ? said:
Prey items are passed by the tentacles to the entrance hole (mouth) and are passed into the stomach (actually called a gastrovascular cavity) where they are digested. So I believe the green/black stuff is food the coral has taken in that is ready for digestion and the empty hole is probably a smaller stomach that was used when the coral was smaller.