What does your Royal Gramma eat?

I got a Keith's Royal Gramma Saturday. I've not seen him eat yet. I do have lots of pods, mysis and brine shrimp living in the rock so maybe he's eating; but I haven't seen it.

I feed the maroon pair mostly Formula One pellets. They also get frozen mysis and Formula Two pellets. The gramma comes out and sees the pellets or mysis, but never eats any.

The 3 fish get along, no one chases or bullies.
He's found a nice hole in the rock to call home.
Maybe he is still recovering from his crash to the floor when Keith was removing rock from the tank or the move to a new tank, but I wanted to know what other grammas like to eat.

Keith, if you're reading this; could you tell me what you think he likes to eat best?

Thanks.

@EStuben wrote:
Maybe he is still recovering from his crash to the floor when Keith was removing rock from the tank or the move to a new tank said:
LOL When I was getting a RG from a member, he was hiding in a hole in the LR and didn't want to come out when the LR was removed from the water either.
My RG eats anything a drop in there. Maybe yours is still stressed a bit.

Thanks guys.

I didn't think they were picky eaters, but I'm not sure why mine doesn't eat. I think he might still be settling in. When I walk by the tank, he is starting to come out to see me more often, so maybe he was just a little too shy to eat when I'm watching.

I'm also noticing the tiny critters(pods, etc) aren't hanging around out in the open as much; maybe the grammas just full.
:D
Thanks.

He wasn't picky so I'm sure he's just a little freaked. He did like frozen mysis and brine the best. You might try feeding others away from him and then dropping some right by his nose. I would be suprised if he doesn't eat within another day or so.

My own Royal Gramma has been near death twice, and both times just parked in a spot in the rockwork until he felt like it was time to eat again. It was amazing. I think I'll name it Lazurus. ;)

If you have that many pods and mysis etc in your tank, hes probably not to interested in your prepared foods:)

Does he look fat? Mines only been fed like once a month and hes doing great...but hes also the only fish in my 125.

Yes, he's fat and very beautiful. I love his colors. I think he's going to be fine. I don't see as many mysis making their little caves. They were like worker ants moving one grain of sand at a time to make caves under the rocks. I have only seen 1 today. I'm sure the gramma must be enjoying all the live food.

He ate a small piece of frozen mysis today, but he wasn't interested at all in the pellets, they even bounced off of him.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel better.

Theres a cleaner shrimp and emerald crab to keep him company. The lawnmower blenny went missing and I'm not sure why. His stomach was always huge and he always looked healthy

He was never an agressive eater so I wouldn't worry to much. He really doen't like flake/pellet much. I have seen him eat both on occasion but he much prefers frozen mysis/brine. I'm sure he is just chowing down on your live food for now so I think he'll be fine.