What does the Future Hold for Reefkeeping?

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors

yellow-tang.jpg

What does the Future Hold for Reefkeeping?​

MICHAEL PALETTA
2 WEEKS AGO

For many of us, 2023 was a rough year. But as I typically do during a tough year I start looking at the future and hopefully better times. 2024 will mark the fortieth year I have been in reefkeeping. The first question this raises is where did the time go? The second question is after seeing where the hobby has come from where can we expect it to go in the future? Fortunately, every few years I give a talk, do an online call, or write an article discussing the possibilities. Some years the future looked dark, so I tried to boost morale, such as when the cover of Audobon Magazine called us “Raiders of the Reef”. Fortunately, at other times the future has looked brighter such as when new tank-bred fish and corals started to reach the market.

While I have been putting my thoughts together for this article, I have come to realize that this time things are different, as in my opinion, the hobby is at a crossroads. That is, on the one hand, on the whole, we are more successful in just about every aspect of the hobby than ever and there are more hobbyists than ever. But on the other hand, there is more pressure than ever, both politically and economically, that is hurting the hobby. How these all play out, and which will prevail will go a long way in determining the future of the hobby both in the short and in the long term.

To enjoy the whole article, then please go to this thread, which is compressive and touches everything including increased sunlight usage: