What ATO do I use?

LSBBA

Premium Member
I am wanting to get an ATO for my 28g jbj led nano and possibly a separate one for my 4g pico. I was curious what some of your experiences have been with ATO and which you would recommend for these two different systems. I have heard about the JBJ ATO but dont have any real experiences to know what the differences are. PLease help with what you recommend and why!

There are a lot of different kinds ranging in price from DIY for $25 to $190 for a really nice one. I ran the DIY one myself for many years. I'm using the Top-It-Off kit from Aquahub with my 400g because it's a safer method and comes with everything other than a reservoir and a pump, as well as a sacrificial extension cord. I bought the cord at Walmart for $3 and an AquaLifter pump for $11. It works well, putting low voltage float switches in my sump.

I like the JBJ ATO coupled with an aqualifter pump. It comes with 2 float switches. The JBJ ATO has a max run time setting which is adjustable. I don't remember the low and high values but somewhere around 7 - 15 mins. It's nice to know the ATO will shut the pump off after the max run time setting in the event of a stuck switch. For reservoir, I use a 5 gallon jug and just set the aqualifter on top of the jug. Makes it easy to switch the jug out for a fresh one when it is empty. I don't like the modes jbj provides for use of the 2 switches so I turn one of the float switches upside down in it's bracket and use it as a backup switch in case the first one sticks or fails. They cost a bit more but are readily available at your LFS of choice.

If you have a controller look at the new avast ato. I really am impressed with it. Before that I used autotopoff.com they are in Austin so any parts or repair is pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used JBJ, digital aquatics float switches on a sl1(really sensitive), and now I have a aquahub kit which was cheap and seems to work just fine!

@kuyatwo wrote:
If you have a controller look at the new avast ato. I really am impressed with it. Before that I used autotopoff.com they are in Austin so any parts or repair is pretty quick Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
I think it's a great choice even if you don't have a controller.

I love the info and I am currently looking up and reading about the ones listed. I am just worried about overflow. How do I solve an accidental spillage

the avast is the same price as the jbj. But which one is better?

I had the autotopoff.com and it was fine but I think Im going to use the avast because of the sensor. It isnt your standard float swith.