What and when - For a new tank...

[we understand it'll be months down the road before we can start introducing our "wish list" fish.

but, we need to start planning for our 1st fish. we thought we'd just use a damsel. but, I don't like what I keep hearing about their aggressiveness. I read the -newbie peppermint thread- and both clowns and chromis were mentioned. is it just the specific ones that were mentioned or any pick from those families?

also, we aren't hearing/reading too much about when it's okay to start adding coral?

we want these corals,eventually... (they're supposed to be good for beginners, tell us if we're wrong.)

open brain coral, finger leather/tree coral, mushrooms, colonial anemones,

and, polyps when can they be introduced? example-star polyps

we will have our lighting or most of it before we get any corals. we're still deciding our final lighting plans, so far we plan on using a combo of mh and pc.

thanks
Nancy]

[Let us know what size of tank you have, light system, and what you try to achieve. Most of us like to keep everything in one tank, but that's not possible.
Mushroom is a great beginner's coral. If you shop carefully - you will find that mushroom do come in all size and color. And if you like angel fish (most of time not compatible in a reef) - then mushroom will be a good choice for a fish only tank.
On the other hand, if you have large tank and want fish that are reef compatible, I would recommend tangs. If plan carefully, you can have a variety of them. I have power blue, regal, yellow, purple, and sailfin tangs in one 211 g tank. Introduce the aggresive ones later, and if necessary get smaller size.
With tangs, you could have ick problem. So be sure to quarantine them. Earlier last year - I added new fish that introduce disease - and nearly wipe out all of my fish. I lost many angel fish - but luckily the tangs that have been with me for several years survive.

If you tank is small, then focus on small reef safe wrasse that are colorful. So far I am finding wrasse to be shy - they don't stay out in the opening much. But they are good little fishes for a reef tank with corals and clams.

HTH,
Peter]

[our tank is 100gal
our lighting goal is 650+ watts
for now we're using a bak pak and running 1 rio

the tank is still cycling... i'm just planning a head so I'll have a clear idea of what to do next. -this is my husbands hobby, but he's both an air force aircraft mechanic and satelite communications guy; I may be on my own soon.

thanks,
Nancy]

[@RickHarris wrote:
we understand it'll be months down the road before we can start introducing our "wish list" fish. said:
not necessarily, just make sure you have the basics under control before you invest a lot in a fish that might die on you.

thread- and both clowns and chromis were mentioned. is it just the specific ones that were mentioned or any pick from said:
Be a little careful. Some clowns are more succeptible to disease, and some chromis are very aggressive (closely related to damsels). Green chromis are great. Maroon clowns are plentiful and pretty hardy. False perculas are great. True percs are a little sensitive to bad water conditions, etc. It depends on what type of fish you like really. I like chormis, so I'd probly do 3 or 4 green chromis first. But you have a little more flexibility. Your not putting fish in until your cycle is mostly done, so you can look at what kind of fish you want and ask peoiple to rate them for hardiness. Anything really hardy and not very expensive is a good first fish for you. I have a couple more yellow chromis that I'd *give* away right now if I could catch them without taking my tank apart (which will almost certainly never happen, they are way too entrenched). They are massively territorial though, but you couldn't kill the things if you wanted to. These things are the scourge of my tank! I took out over 500lbs of live rock the weekend before the club meeting and only got out one of the three. The other two still managed to hide somehow.

also said:
soft corals, 3 to 4 months.
Large polyp (get eric bourneman's book to classify) 5 to 6 months
SPS- 8 months to a year (this is really dependant on how good your filtration is and some other factors).

open brain coral - good for you. Need your lights first. preferable MH lights, but he'll do well under VHO too. 4 or 5 mnths, these aren't always as easy as advertised, but they aren't too difficult.

finger leather/tree coral - ok for you. VHO lighting is ok, but needs some light at least. 2 to 3 months.

mushrooms, colonial anemones - fine anytime after the first month. Colorful zooanthids need lighting to keep their color.

example-star polyps - need lights, but can be introduced after a month.]