Wavemaker Benefits?

So I am looking at wavemakers but wanted to ask those of you that have them what benefits you have witnessed after installing them on tanks that only had powerheads previously? If it just looks cool I think I would rather just continue using powerheads and spend my money on something else.

To mimic Ocean currents. Indirect/intermittent current
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bcorsettingup/a/aa121597waves.htm

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for someone's firsthand account of the benefits or lack of when they switched from a traditional constant power head setup to a wavemaker like the Ecotech pumps. I am currently looking at the Jebao RW-8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used vortechs for so long that I don't necessarily have the first hand experience from that stand point but back when I first started I had a similar situation which really sold it for me. My first tank was just softies, leathers, Xenia, mushrooms, etc. It was very basic, and all I used for flow were some basic maxi jets. It worked fine but I wanted more and I found a 'new to me' product that rotated the flow from the maxi jets. I thought cool, mix things up but keep the same pumps, easy enough. Well, I almost instantly saw the corals open bigger, grow faster, and just plain look better. The Xenia and toadstool just opened and stretched out more than I'd ever seen them. Ever since I have made sure the flow in my tank is randomized in some way. The same applies to all corals, the ocean doesn't just push water in a single direction all day long, so our tank shouldn't either. Now, I have seen it in others tanks where corals directly in front of a steady stream are directly impacted and their growth is stunted or changed but I can't seem to find any pics of it at the moment. I will keep looking.

Cool. And just because it probably is relevant, my tank is a mixed tank but predominantly LPS (probably 75%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Tunze wave maker box for almost 10 years now. I love the back and forth water motion. Can't say if the wave maker is better or worse for the coral, but it certainly makes everything look better! The only draw back I complain about is that there's no good way to hide the box. Some may even consider this is an eye sore!

I know you already have Cirulation pumps, but if you ever replace, you can get relitively inexpensive.....
The RW-8 you are looking at would be a good inexpensive or WP40
http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker I have used these just over two years.....I even have my Apex runnning them......
This one alone, depending on the size of your tank, would probably all you need
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/maxspect-gyre-xf150.html

Yeah I was looking at the Gyre but it is incredibly overpriced and even though I could buy one, I refuse to pay that much (even whole sale they are ridiculous). I think I will wait for Jebao to make a copy of it and offer it at a normal price ;-) In the meantime, I am leaning towards a RW-8.

Yeah, the price I was quoted was $202 but I know there are some better priced wholesalers out there for the bigger shops. However, considering that the MSRP price is $239.99 that seems real low. Dry goods typically don't have those kind of margins. Could be wrong though.