Wackydaffy's 150 Gallon Build - All help appreciated!

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be setting up a 150 gallon tank that I just purchased off the forums. Before this tank I had a 75 gallon, but sadly had to sell on the livestock when I left the country for a bit. Back into now! I just purchased a home in Garland, today actually, and won't actually start setting up the aquarium for a month. I have to put in new floors and paint and stuff first. However, I want to start buying everything I need and setting up as much as possible right from the beginning. To start, I know nothing about electrical work, or all the super sweet plumbing I see in the pictures everyone posts. If there were 10 levels of newbdom, I would probably be level 2. A beginner! I learned a lot from the 75 gallon, but I have sooooo much more to learn. It never ends, and I hope it never does.

So lets start with what I have:

This is a link to the tank I bought that shows what came with it...

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=46801

I also recently bought a phosban reactor 150 from the forums.

I found my ALS cr-150 Calc reactor. Don't have the regulator or tank or pump for that yet.

I bought a Red Sea Wavemaker Pro off the forums.

I am going to end up replacing the lights with 3 250W MH and some moon lighting.

I am going to buy a refugium from Marc.

I am going to buy an auto-top off.

I am going to buy an ro/di unit from Marc.

I am going to buy an aqua controller III to control as much as possible.

I have a couple of 300W heaters from the 75 gallon.

Okay, now to things I will change....

The lights I am changing from the tek t5's to the MH. Probably not immediately, but once the tank has cycled I can change those over.

I want to change out the skimmer, there are so many choices out there though. I was thinking between an H&S, Trigger Systems, or Euroreef. Of course, any suggestions welcome.

I will change the sump for a refugium.

Okay, now things I have no clue about...

I have no clue what type of powerheads I should buy, both for the wave maker and otherwise.

I don't know if I need to replace the pumps that it came with.

I have no idea how to do any of the electrical stuff. I want to make it look as neat as possible under there. I was reading BigJay's 180 build, and people were talking about 20 amp this and that, I have no idea what any of that is.

I want to plumb the underneath. Just because I think it looks so cool and organized, but I don't know why it needs to be plumbed.

I have no idea about this aqua controller. All I know is that on the website it says it can control everything. I don't know how it does it, what the DC8 and DC4 things are. I just want to automate as much as possible this time.

Okay, things I will be doing in the future....

I will buy some barrels to hold the ro/di water and mix the salt myself. I used to buy the water from the LFS for my 75, but that just costs too much.

I will worry about what type of sand to put at a later time.

I will look at my tank with wonder.

I am reading as much as possible on the forums, and at reef central's chemistry forum so I can learn more about this.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I'm just excited to get this thing going. As you can see I have a lot of questions, and don't really know too much about this. So, obviously, any help, criticism, suggestions are more than welcome. In fact, encouraged!!! I will post pictures as stuff starts to come together.

Thanks everyone for any future help, it's a slow learning process, but that's what makes it fun.

Kevin

Lots of broad question, if you need help with specific issues feel free to pm me. You'll get through each thing one at a time, good luck.

Alright, I purchased the light with the 3 250W Mh and moonlights.

So I agree, I had a lot of questions, so I guess I will go one at a time as I purchase them.

The question for today is, what type of skimmer is recommended. I am looking between H&S, Trigger Systems, and Euro Reef. I want a relatively quiet system. I am even thinking of putting dynamat on the walls of the stand. The stuff used for car stereo system sound dampening in doors. Any ideas on that as well?

Thanks![/img]