Vortec Battery Backup

Laser

Membership Expired
Anyone have one of these? I just ordered one and it only came with a power cord for the backup unit. How are you supposed to hook it up to the pump/pumps?? :shock:

hmmm...i would assume it would have the controller to battery cords, i havnt opened mine yet...i can check here in a bit...

Lance,

It should come with the power cord and one cord to connect to a single Vortech pump.

I can't remember how everything was packaged and if it the cord was hidden.

Here is Eco Techs support email if you need to contact them. They usually reply within a day and I would guess they will send you the cord without any problems.

ecotechmarineservice@gmail.com

Just spoke with Dave at Ecotech and they shipped me the battery backup without the cord to go to the controller. :? At least I feel better about not being able to figure out how to do it..

I have one of these as well, and really wish I had never bought it.
It came damaged, and the place wouldn't return it. So I sent if off to ice-cap, who kinda fixed it, and the cord they sent back with it broke, so now I have a real nice paper weight.
The vor-tec's are one of the best advances in reef keeping technology in the last decade, but there still are some serious drawbacks. As soon as they get all this right, they will be a welcome addition to any tank.
Drew

Drew, contact IceCap again. Get it resolved now before you really need it.

Marc,
I sent them another email about my still broken BB and one of my vor-tec's that rattles at high speed. (belieive me I've tried every adjustment to get it to stop rattling.) The response I got from Ice-cap wasn't there normal friendly, "I'll send you a return postage sticker".
They just told me to mail it in at my own expense, and they would take a look at it. I don't really have a problem paying to send it in, but I do have a problem being with out it for multiple weeks while they look at the pump.
I do agree with you that I need to get the battery back-up working, but its just frustrating since I've had it for nearly a year, and its never worked properly. I feel like I could build a better one at radio shack.
All that aside, I really do love the vor-tec concept as well as the one good-working VT that I have.
I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I will post an update after I send the vortec and battery backup in to be fixed.
Drew

Drew,
I just sent in one of my three vortecs that had the same issue. I sent it in at my own expense and they were able to get it fixed ( for $40) and sent back to me within a week. I feel they have exceptional customer service that is rare to find these days. The pump I sent in was over a year old and had been run on full power its whole life. The entire wet side had to be rebuilt and replaced. Keep in mind that the pump was out of warranty since I had it over a year already so I did not feel the rebuild cost was excessive at all considering the price of the pump itself. Just my 2 cents..

I too love this technology, but with the price tag of this equipment, get it serviced if it needs it. You can alway grab some older pumps from a bucket in your garage to create some temporary flow while it is being repaired.

Sold my Vortech due to all the cavitation and stalling problems. I am sure they will eventually get it well engineered but right now, its just not.

Went back to a Tunze, not as wide a flow pattern but acceptable and one thing about Tunze is they run and run and if you ever have a problem Roger is in Austin and turns stuff around pronto.

I have a Tunze you can have if you want to get it sent off to get fixed. Its funny, now i am back to a maxijet mod, but at least those work consistantly (all these expensive pumps have tons of problems).

Thanks guys for the more than generous offers.
I have a friend that has been dying to get a VT, so I went ahead and ordered one and put it in my tank until he comes to visit in Dec, and I'm going to send my loud one back in the mean time. If for some reason mine is not fixed by the time he picks his up, I may take you up on your offers.
I'll keep you updated,
Thanks Again,
Drew
PS, when this is all said-and-done, I'm going to write a long review on the vor-tec's. There are lots of postitive and negatives that people from the outside looking in might not be seeing, and they should know before they drop 400 bucks.

I wrote one up myself, which is on my site. It was submitted to the newsletter editor in case it was deemed worthy.

Congrats on winning the Photo Contest.

I'll have to check out your article, before I try my hand at one. I haven't done much writing since I did copy for the yearbook in college, and of course my grammer aint to great.
Thanks for letting me know about the photo contest, I forget all about checking the results.
Anyhow, I'm going to cleaning up the vortec tomorrow and sending it off on Monday. I'll start a new thread to keep people updated. I feel like we've hijacked someone else's thread here.
Thanks
Drew