Using dishwasher drain tube for water line

scttwhtmr

Membership Expired
I needed a new water line for one of my pumps but the only thing I could find is dishwasher drain tubing (brand new). Would you use this for your tank?

Why no? Is there some chemical component to the line that I am unaware of? I was thinking of using it to run from the return pump to the tank. I tried to find regular line that I could just have get a few feet of but it was not available so I went with what I could find. If this won't work what do you suggest and where can I find it?

It's the drain line for a dishwasher. To me, that doesn't sound like food grade material since it is 100% exporting water.

I'd use PVC, not flexible tubing. It's going to last much longer. I have an article on plumbing that you might want to read over:
http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/283-Plumbing-Primer-how-to-do-it-correctly

Here's what I have. The person I got the tank from used barbed fittings I didn't want to have to replace them, hence the desire to use a flexible tube that will fit over the barbs.

[attachment=0]rsz_20150909_101538.jpg[/attachment]

I don't know how will that will hold up under that kind of pressure. Also, you'd want it to be stamped / marked Food Grade or HDPE (maybe). If it blows apart, it won't be pretty. :)

You can get vinyl tubing at Home Depot, Lowes, or any number of fish stores.

The material itself you shouldn't have any worries about. I have a system that's been using these as drain tubes for over 4 years without an issues. However, key word is "drain", not as much pressure. :) I would follow Mark and switch it to the pvc route. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk