Using carbon

Hookem2006

Premium Member
If I am waiting to run carbon in my tank only periodically, do I still need to use a reactor? Can I just toss a bag in my sump on one of the media shelfs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

you'll want to get high qualitiy carbon, I prefer Seachems round version but I use it in a mesh bag in my filter sock. IMO you don't need a reactor but I'm sure it helps.

I have the 8" filter sock that my overflow dumps into and i just throw the carbon in there in a media bag and whenever i change the filter sock i change the carbon the same time. i just run half the dosage req since i change out the carbon every 5 days

So if you do have a reactor how much carbon should you be using in it per gallon? Should the carbon tumble like GFO and biopellets? Should the flow through the reactor be fast or slow?

I have some of the dr foster and smith pellet carbon, an avast mr5 reactor, and a 125g tank. I just filled it about a third of the way and have it tumbling but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I can get it tumbling with fairly low flow but I can also crank up the flow and it won't shoot to the top like GFO.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
So if you do have a reactor how much carbon should you be using in it per gallon? Should the carbon tumble like GFO and biopellets? Should the flow through the reactor be fast or slow? I have some of the dr foster and smith pellet carbon said:
Slow flow shouldn't tumble in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe not tumbling but fluidized? It's all in single mass at the bottom of the reactor moving around as the water flows through it.

Thanks for the link Matt. I'll check out the podcast.