Update On Vortec

Drew

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
I had previously mentioned in another thread, some of the problems I've had with my vortecs(VT) and battery back-up(bb). I said I would update everyone after I received my Vortec back from Ice-Cap.
Here's the update:a (Let me preface this by saying I take really good care of all my equipment, and do my best to ensure that things are working as well as they possibly can. Anyone who has seen my tanks can attest to my attention to detail. I am also doing my best to tell the whole story, but if I leave out a detail or two, I'm not doing it intentionally)
I mailed the VT back as well as the cord that connects the bb to the VT for power. The BB cord was broken and just needed to be replaced, but the VT was having issues. I took the time to type up a letter stating that the outside of the VT rattles at anything above the low speed setting, and that the WWD seemed as if it just had a screw loose inside. Anyhow, I mailed the items back, at my own expense( I only mention this, because Ice-cap is usually very good about paying shipping both ways) and yesterday I received the items back in the mail.
I first took out the bb cord, and plug it into the BB and one of the VT controlers. It appears to be fix and hopefully I will have no other issues.
As for the VT, I hooked it all back up and plug it in. At first it seemed as if it was fixed, but after I turned it up a little bit, it began rattling again, just as it did before. I started to think I was crazy, so I had a friend listen to it as well as the other two VT's and you can clearly hear a rattling noise as the speed is increased. The noise is definately coming from the outside of the pump, and I again tried every different type of configuration that I could. I emailed Ice-cap, and told them of the situation. This morning I got a response back saying they had replaced all the parts on the wet side of the pump, and that it worked fine for them there.
I'm not sure why they did so much work on the inside of the pump, when you can clearly tell the problem is coming from the outside. They also sent me a return UPS label to send the unit back again. I guess I'll be sending it back again, and hopefully this time it will get fixed.
Again, I want to mention that I really do love the concept of the Vor-Tecs, and the huge step they have helped the hobby make, but with all great advances there are flaws that must be worked through.
I will update again as soon as I get the pump back.
Drew

How'd I know Marc would be the first to respond. :wink:

After posting my last update just a few minutes ago, I checked my email and already had a response from Ice-Cap. Here is what it says:
If you have swapped things around it sounds like the motor may have intermittent noise or a bearing on the verge of going out. I will in this case go ahead and send you a replacement motor. It will be real simple to replace...
I do have to say one thing about Ice-cap, they are always super fast to respond to problems. They may not always get them fixed correctly, but if all companies handled customer service like they do, the world would be a much better place.
I will update again, after I receive the part and replace it.
Thanks
Drew

That's awesome. "Sounds" like you be back in business in no time. :)

Good to hear they are treating you well Drew. I have nothing but great things to say about the customer service they have. As you say the world would be a better place if all companies treated customers as they do..