Tunze Nano Osmolator Problem

I just installed my new ATO last night and went to check on it this morning and the tank was almost full to the rim. The pump kept turning on and off every few minutes and a few drops of water would go into the tank even thought the sensor was already fully submerged. I had to turn it all off before leaving to work, anyone know what could be causing the problem? Seems like the pump kept turning on and off and in doing so water kept going into the tank a few drops at a time and overnight almost filled my tank.

My tank is only 25g and is an all in one so it wont take much to overflow it. I put the sensor in the 3rd chamber with the return pump as stated in the instruction manual so idk what else could be doing it, could it be a bad pump?

The biggest issue with this ATO is that it only has one sensor, compared to the 3155. The 3155 will alarm when the optical sensor reads too much water. I'm not as familiar with the 3152 but the basic function is the same minus the 2nd sensor.

Is the pump actually coming on (whizzing sound) or are you just seeing water coming into the tank? Is the ATO reservoir below the tank water level?

The most common issue is the sensor getting stuck. Even if it's under water, make sure that the sensor isn't stuck in the "low" position. If you physically move the sensor to the "full" position and the pump is still coming on, I would suspect an issue with the controller itself and return under warranty.

@Charlie wrote:
The biggest issue with this ATO is that it only has one sensor said:
Yes i can hear it whiz for a second or two and i can see water coming out of the tubing, it kept doing that every few mins... ato container is below the tank next to the stand.

Doesn't seem like the sensor is stuck, it floats to the top and is fully submerged under water, im thinking it might be the controller or the pump.. going to look into it further when i get home. Just wasn't a good feeling going to my tank this morning and seeing that, glad i woke up a bit earlier or else a disaster wouldve happened.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I typically only keep about 5 gallons in the ATO container since I never trust overfilling. And that's on a 225 gallon system :) I would suspect the controller myself, since it should never have any short that allows the pump to come on irregularly.

If you are going to troubleshoot, take the sensor out of the tank and tape it in the full position. Leave the pump in the ATO reservoir with output into a 5 gallon bucket. I would watch for a few hours and see if any water gets pumped out. If the pump is coming on, I would suspect the controller is bad or the cable between the sensor and controller is bad. Good luck!

In my experience if it reservoir runs empty the pump will act like that when you fill it back up. I have to unplug it and plug it back in after few sec and it runs fine on my pico.

Also check to see what your jumper is set at as it protects overfilling

Also make sure the tubing is not close to the water as it will suck water back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got an email from Roger who said it could be bc of the magnet on the outside interfering with the sensor and that i need to add a rubber spacer or a piece of acrylic in between the magnet and the glass.

Could there be a short in the power to the controller. I know on the 3155 it pumps water to the tank for a few seconds when you turn it on even if it isn't needed.

Got it figured out, it was caused by the magnet being too strong and interferring with the sensor, apparently the sensor has a magnetic ring that moves the switch and the powerful magnet is preventing it from moving much.

If the pump runs dry it will air lock, sometimes, when u fill the resivoir back up , not really part of the discussion but that happens too. And the fill tube will drip slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk