Trumpet coral - Tell me what this is doing.

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[
trumpet.gif
alt="">

Is it expelling waste from eating? Or spreading sperm perhaps to propagate? This happened over about 3 minutes.]

[Hi Marc. Neat photography. I can't read what you wrote because the picture covers the text. But if yoyu had a question and needed to know what is happening, it is expelling digested zoox. They will due this occasionally . Have you increased lighting intensity lately?

Brad]

[First of all, this was my original post:

Is it expelling waste from eating? Or spreading sperm perhaps to propagate? This happened over about 3 minutes.

I took a series of shots with my digital camera, then tweaked them for better appearance, and finally inserted them in a animation editor to make that 'movie' for y'all. :D I'd read about some corals that will exude semen (I think) in an effort to propagate, so I was wondering if that was what this was doing.

No, my lighting is the same I believe. I did add an extra 55w to the canopy, but I'm almost positive it was before this coral was put in the tank.

I was just studying my 'bushy' acropora last night. It has really become a rich golden brown, more brown that before. I believe if I had MH lights over it, it would have purple tips, but I've not gone that route. Yet. :) In a way, I'd almost like to, but I don't want to keep sinking more money into my 29 gal tank. I think I'd prefer to get dual 150 or 175s for the 55 gal instead.

Hey, I'm looking to sell a Juvenile Queen Angel. If you want, you could make that known tonight at the meeting. I can't add any stonies to that tank until the Angel is out.]

[OK. So we figured out that that was the coral expelling the zoox then. :p

Most of the corals and clams that I have seen go into sexual reprodution modes have all had white cloudy type semen emissions. That would include the clams as well. The stuff you see coming out in the pictures is definately excess zoox. It is adapting to that extra 55w light.

Corals need less zoox when the light is more intense or stronger than it is accustomed to.

Juvenille queen eh?...Good luck!]