Trace elements - Adding stuff to tank?

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[Tank is a 10 gallon, 10lbs LR, 20lbs LS. Assorted inverts. One Nemo.

One 4 headed Frogspawn, one small zoo cluster.

Salinity is good (1.026)

Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates all fine.

Tested Calcium last weekend. Was somewhere over 400.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Now that I have coral's in the tank, and since it's such a small tank, what ELSE should I start testing for?

Also,
What should I be adding to the tank (if anything) to keep trace elements where they belong? - I happen to be a fan of my LFS, the owner is a really nice guy, but there's no way I'm asking them this question... They'd probably have me walking out with 20 test kits and 50 bottles of crud I don't need.

(I'm hitting the tank with cyclop-eeze and bioplankton (alternating) to feed 'em if that makes a difference.

Tank has minimal lighting - 1 28watt Coralife 50/50. It's sufficient for what I have. I didn't to invest too much more into it b/c I'm getting ready to set up a 75-90 gallon tank. The 10g will probably be relegated to qt duty once the I buy the new setup.]

[The only other thing I would test for is pH. test at the same time of day. No other additives
Trace elements will be replaced by water changes.

Good Luck]

[Sorry, I left that off. I check pH and Alk, just not as often as I check the rest.

Newbie question though: I top off with fresh RO/DI. When I do a water change I'm putting in salt water at the appropriate salinity. (Currently buying from LFS, b/c I have a small tank. I will invest in an RO/DI unit when I get the big tank).

Won't I just be adding RO/DI water with salt once I kick my LFS to the curb? If the tds is 0, how am I adding the proper balance of nutrients back into the tank.

(I'm an Aggie... use small words :D)]

[Your salt contains all the trace elements that is required. When you do your water changes you are replenishing the consumed trace elements.

Andy]

Edited By Maldivan on 1095915084

[Whoa!!!!! HOLD UP!!!!
salinity shouldnt be that high last time i checked. I thought 1.022 was ideal. I could be wrong though. Please correct me if i am. I know it depends on what you are keeping in the tank.]

[1.026 is the salinity for natural sea water, most coral keepers will keep the salinity that high as corals and inverts will do better.
1.022 would only be recommended if it were a fish only tank

As for the elements, your water changes with a good salt mix should replenish what you need.

I would check ph and alk as often as you check the rest, and probably more often to be honest. After the initial cycle phase, you shouldnt see a buildup of ammonia or nitrite so they can be checked less frequently. Ph, alk, Ca and nitrate should be monitored regularly.]

@AquaMan wrote:
[what if you have fish and corals??? 1.024ish?????????] said:
[That is considered a reef tank, and yes the salinity should be kept around 1.026. If you keep it at a constant 1.024 it isn't going to harm anything.]

[I have a mixed reef with around 30 fish at 1.026]