Tony's 75 Gal DIY build

Tornelas383

Membership Expired
About 3 months ago I really started to get the itch to start a saltwater aquarium. I started by buying books, reading on the internet and finally became a member of this forum. So far this has been a challenging adventure but also rewarding. I bought a tank from a member on the forum that was leaking and had chips in the back glass.... Maybe not such a good Idea? I did totally break down the tank and replaced the glass and put a new piece on the front and tinted the back glass. I picked up replacement glass and high grade aquarium sealant from Armando over at Planet aquariums and he is AWESOME!!!! I would love to have these guys build me a custom tank for my next setup. Here are some pictures of my tank rebuild process..

[album]1184[/album]
[album]1185[/album]
[album]1186[/album]
[album]1187[/album]
[album]1188[/album]
[album]1189[/album]
[album]1190[/album]
[album]1191[/album]

The next step in my build process was my sump. I decided to go ON THE CHEAP just like most everything else in my build. I bought a 20 long aquarium at Petco during their $1 per gallon sale. My neighbor was actually moving out and threw away a lot of scrap glass and 1/4 plexiglass which I swiftly picked up and took into my garage [smilie=lol.gif] . I studied a lot of sump/refugium designs online and looked at designs in person. The design I came up with is a mixture of different types and is probably not the best design, but it works. I eventually would like to price one from Melev because from what I have seen his quality and design appears better than even Trigger sumps IMHO. I also built my sump around the AquaC EV-180 skimmer which has a rather large footprint.... I still dont really have quite enough room for the optimal operation of the skimmer, but it still seems to pull plenty of crud out.
[album]1192[/album]
[album]1193[/album]
[album]1194[/album]
[album]1195[/album]

I have tinted windows before and liked the idea of being able to remove tint a lot easier than paint. You could also use mirror tint if you like that effect.