Toadstool problem

[Hi all,

I have a yellow toadstool that i've had in my 18gal for about 2wks. After the initial acclimation it opened up and extended it's polyps. After about a week i noticed it started curling up even in the daylight and turning brown on one end. I placed it in the middle of the tank where there's alot of light. I didn't think this would be a problem until now. Today it lost one side.. it was totally brown and kinda just fell apart. I have another leather and am familiar with the molting..but this is different. I moved it down to the bottom of the tank in a lower light area... Here are my water parameters:

sal 1.0210
ph 8.4
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40

Any ideas?]

[Yellow leathers are the hardest leather to keep. They require high light and strong flow too promote good health. Also, I would raise your SG to 1.026 and do what ever it takes to get your nitrates down below 10 ppm (0 would be better).]

[I agree with David about getting your water to match natural sea water levels.]

[David is right. High flow and bright lights. I have had several in VHO tanks that had to be close to the surface and next to a powerhead to stay healthy. They seem to be a first to go in high heat situation also. Have had one or two that came in injured and just continued to decline (turned brown and disintegrated). If you are going to try to save it, do a water change and shake it out in the water you took out to try to remove all of the necrotic tissue. Doing this in the tank can really pollute the water. When you place it back in put a lot of flow on the receding area. A coral that size dying in a small aquarium can cause you other problems so watch everything close and be ready to do water changes. I would also run some carbon to help in cleaning up.]

[Thanks so much!!! I will do a major water change tonight. I may have to add an additional powerhead for more flow as well. If i cut off the bad area will it affect the whole coral? There's just one small side that's brown... The rest is fine, but it looks like the brown spot is growing slowly.]

[Most of the time you csn just rub the brown off with your fingers to expose the healthy tissue to bright light and good water flow. If the water parameters are there and the lighting is sufficient then it should pull through :) .]

[Well i did a major water change last night and now here's my parameters:

sal still 1.021
ph 8.2
ammonia .25 that coral is having an affect
nitrites 0
nitrates 10

I will do another change tommorow. I just don't think i'm going to be able to save this one. I got all the brown stuff off of it and added another powerhead. It still is looking like the bad area is expanding.]

[If you will top off your tank with saltwater rather than freshwater for the next week, replacing evaporated water as needed, your salinity will come up closer to natural sea water (NSW) levels. 1.021 is really too low for a tank with corals. 1.026 is typical.]