Time for a Clean-up crew

Hi :D

Cycled a 12 gallon Aquapod and I got hit hard with diatoms :p im thinking a clean-up crew is in order. I tested the water and everything checks out. What would you recommend for a clean-up crew on a 12 gallon ap with 15lbs Live rock and 1.5 inch sand bed of Aragonite Fiji Pink Substrate?

Thanks!

Well, you won't need a big crew! Maybe some smaller snails that won't get big and knock over your stuff - since you'll have smaller stuff! You may want to read threads about people that have gone "crabless".

Hi,
What you see is just part of the new tank process. When you say everything checks out, what are you parameters exactly...Ca/Alk/Mg/ Phosphates, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. You are using RO/DI water I assume.

Cheers!

Yeah R/O water

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0-5 ppm
Ph 8.4
Ca 475
Phosphates ( test kit is on my "I need to buy one list")

1st chamber on aquapod- heater, 2nd Chemi-pure, 3rd, Chaeto/LR Rubble 4th powerhead.

Lights-
Daylight 8 hrs a day
Actinic 10 hrs ( 1 hr before daylight and 1 hr after)

@esqu37107 wrote:
Yeah R/O water Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 0-5 ppm Ph 8.4 Ca 475 Phosphates ( test kit is on my "I need to buy one list") 1st chamber on aquapod- heater said:
Excellent...I would put a Alk test kit on that list also. Your Ca is a bit high so curious as to what your Alk is at. What salt are you using....some have higher Ca than others. You may want to have someone check your Mg levels, those test kits are a bit pricey....at least the salifert brand is but is one of the best as far as accuracy. You should also budget for a refractometer if you don't have one, hydrometers are known to be somewhat inaccurate unless you "calibrate em against a refractometer".

Cheers!

Consider the AlK test kit added to the list :D I was too lazy to mix my own water lol so I bought some from my LFS. but when i setup the tank I was missing about 3 gallons and had to mix my own and I used r/o water and Instant Ocean salt. I dont really trust my LFS salt water alot of their tanks have alot of hair algae and im thinking that didnt help me any lol

Thanks!

@esqu37107 wrote:
Consider the AlK test kit added to the list :D I was too lazy to mix my own water lol so I bought some from my LFS. but when i setup the tank I was missing about 3 gallons and had to mix my own and I used r/o water and Instant Ocean salt. I dont really trust my LFS salt water alot of their tanks have alot of hair algae and im thinking that didnt help me any lol Thanks! said:
That's the nice thing about having your own ro/di unit...you know what the water quality is(if you have a tds meter), you know when the filters were changed last etc., etc. If you don't trust the water where you shop, perhaps it's time to find a new LFS. :lol:

Cheers!