Tiger Tails

I ended up with a pair of Tiger Tails, H. Comes from DNA. I watched Dana feed them frozen mysis before purchase but they have been very reticent and shy in their current tank. Following a pattern much like the H. Kudas they are very slowly working things out and learning their environment. I have some 2000+ pods in the tank from reefs2go for them right now.

They visited with the humans tonight.
VauOJ.jpg
alt="">

Plano Pets always has live bring shrimp on hand if needed. Right now I think they are scarfing up reef2go pods.

@ldreefer wrote:

There are 2 serpent pipe fish in the tank with them right now. They pretty much ignore each other.
PEsXz.jpg
alt="">

@Mikii wrote:

Any updates? My wife wants to convert her 14g biocube to a dwarf seahorse tank and we're looking for pointers!

JD,

Truth is we are sorta muddling along. Very limited success with frozen mysis. I got a few more hits on enriched frozen brine shrimp. No real luck with gut loaded live brine. They are too fast for these guys.
They are costing a fortune in pods. Wiped out everything in the display tank. I've shuffled a few out of the 'fuge for them but I'm on the verge of spending another $50.00 in live food.

My tank is not set up correctly. I never should have used a way station for them with live rock. They hide almost 100% of the time and its difficult to find them and offer food.
Something more like what fperkins did would be much better: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=99125

I would go with a 100% artificial hitching post for them. Something like these silk plants: http://www.aquariumguys.com/seagarden-calcyculus-mexicana-large.html and not over do it. Just enough for them to feel comfortable but in a way that I could find them in just a few seconds for feeding and observation. You will want an easy way to disable the water flow during feedings times and have a fairly good carnivorous based snail CUC to clean up behind them or the tank is going to foul quickly. Not uncommon for me to find a dozen small shrimp on the pre-filter every day or two.

If they can find a way to get into trouble, they will. I would pay very close attention to guards around any heater and overflows, and anything sharp or pointy.

If you can not wean them quickly, be prepared to spend anywhere from 2 - 10 times what they cost in live food over time. They are fascinating critters but require serious patience and investment in time and money. You might want to start a planing thread. Some other folks here may have good advice.

I was afraid it wasn't going to be easy! We already spend a fortune in pods for the mandarin! We've looked at that thread (fperkins) and a view others over at seahorse.org and have decided this may be a serious challenge! From what we read a 14g biocube is only going to be suitable for a small herd of the pygmies and keeping the tank cool is going to be a big issue for us. It's apparently time for even more research! Thanks for the good advice!