The Washington Reef 75/200 Gal Reef Tanks

I have the same issue with the chromis. It seems they do great for a while then one by one die off. In watching, it doesn't apear to be any one picking on them, but they go into hiding or stay along the surface in a corner and slow down on eating. They act like they are being picked on, but we never see it. It gets worse or faster as the nubers decline. They seem to do best in a larger school.

Peter I am going to order ten of them so that they can school together and we see how that works. Will let you know how it all works out.

I have had 9 blue chromis in my tank for at least 6 months said:
Marc, I think David is referring to blue reef chromis, which are different than the regular and more common chromis.

DSC_6924e.jpg
alt="">

Tank looks great BTW David.

Yes there is a mix of Green and Blue Reef Chromis in the tank and with three female and one male Lyetail Anthias. The Amthias have done well since introduced to the tank over 18 months ago.

I hope that Marc was referring to the Blue as I just had Frank order ten of them for me so that I can give it one more try. It would be good to know that someone has had success with this fish.

He will come on and let us know for sure.

David,
How often are you feeding your fish? I've read something recent that suggests that Chromis do better with multiple feedings per day (similar to Anthias).

Just a suggestion.

@washingtond wrote:
Yes there is a mix of Green and Blue Reef Chromis in the tank and with three female and one male Lyetail Anthias. The Amthias have done well since introduced to the tank over 18 months ago. I hope that Marc was referring to the Blue as I just had Frank order ten of them for me so that I can give it one more try. It would be good to know that someone has had success with this fish. He will come on and let us know for sure. said:
I was referring to my regular chromis, not those damsel-looking things. Sorry about misunderstanding your original question.

Mine are the blue or green ones.
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/blue_chromis.html

@Marc wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Yes there is a mix of Green and Blue Reef Chromis in the tank and with three female and one male Lyetail Anthias. The Amthias have done well since introduced to the tank over 18 months ago. I hope that Marc was referring to the Blue as I just had Frank order ten of them for me so that I can give it one more try. It would be good to know that someone has had success with this fish. He will come on and let us know for sure. said:
I was referring to my regular chromis, not those damsel-looking things. Sorry about misunderstanding your original question.

Mine are the blue or green ones.
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/blue_chromis.html"]

Well thanks for clearing that up. I have both in my tank or at least one Blue and four green. I have order ten blues from Frank so we will see how they fair.

I will increase the feeding cycle to see if that makes a difference.

Just to show how much things have grown in our tank here is a picture taken last Dec 06.
DSC_4624e.jpg
alt="">

And here is the same rock taken in Dec 07.
On the left is a Blue Tort, above is Green Staghorn, Birdsnet, and below it is Montipora Cap, and on the far right is Green Montipora
DSC_6835ve.jpg
alt="">

And this picture goes back to the beginning when we first started the tank in Dec 05.
DSC_3282.jpg
alt="">

We have been blessed to have a stable tank with what I call crazy growth. The Birdsnet was our first coral in the tank and here is a close-up of it when it was first mounted.
DSC_3259.jpg
alt="">

Pretty impressive growth David. You even got the yellow tang in the first picture to split into 2, the blue-green chromis to morph into 3 and the anthias to change into a PBT.

@washingtond wrote:
[I]@chrisrush wrote:[/I][quote="Pretty impressive growth David. You even got the yellow tang in the first picture to split into 2 said:
sign0020.gif
alt="">"]

I like to think so!

in that begining photo the birdsnest looks so lonely

great pictures and your tank is looking awesome as always

@psteeleb wrote:
in that begining photo the birdsnest looks so lonely great pictures and your tank is looking awesome as always said:
Thanks Peter. In the beginning Tippie used to call them sticks and that the new tank was ugly because back then our 75 gal LPS tank looked so much better but a lot has changed in two years.

I am in awe of your tank - it is very inspiring.

Would you mind identifying a couple of your corals for an SPS newbie?

In the pictured dated Dec 07 - what is the big centerpiece green coral, and what is the coral to the right of the PBT (teal colored thicker branched?)

Thanks

@CarolynM wrote:
I am in awe of your tank - it is very inspiring. Would you mind identifying a couple of your corals for an SPS newbie? In the pictured dated Dec 07 - what is the big centerpiece green coral said:
Carolyn I went back and added some of the coral names above the pictures.

My thanks to you and Chris for you comments. Now I think Tippie and I will go to Nates for some Crawfish for lunch.