The Washington Reef 75/200 Gal Reef Tanks

@dahenley wrote:
whats the huge set of corals in the middle that is shading soo much. it looks like a monti/birdsnest combo. and it looks quite large! said:
It is a Birdsnest/Monti Cap growing together and is 28" wide and 15" deep.

Thanks Pete. As I have said many times I am glad to have it done. Now the only minor thing left is the bottom trim piece.

Here is one last picture of the fish screen that I added to the open back of the canopy to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank.

DSC091611.jpg
alt="">

@washingtond wrote:
Here is one last picture of the fish screen that I added to the open back of the canopy to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank. said:
This is nice! Would you please share where to get that net?

Thanks,

I got the screen from Bulk Reef Supply, here is a link. [Screen] I got the smaller size.

You can also use it on the top of a tank to prevent fish from jumping and it does not block any of the lighting.

@Marc wrote:
Did you get your new container installed yet? said:
Not yet, it is my next project. I need to cut and install all the PVC pipes and hoses. I will post pictures on the build and installation.

For those that do not know the container that Marc is referring to is a 25 gallon tank that he built that I will be using for kalk drip on our 200 gal aquarium. I have been using a old Rubbermaid container that developed a leak and this one will replace it and should last forever. I should have this project completed by the end of this week. I will provide more information on the design when I post the pictures.

FYI,
I mix 25 gallons of kalk when we are going to be out of town and that will provide a eight to nine day supply.

Now approaching the two week mark since converting the 200 gal tank to 100% LED lighting and happy to report that I have not noticed any changes with the corals in the tank. Their colors really pop now as others have reported. So far I am very happy with the results.

@washingtond wrote:
Now approaching the two week mark since converting the 200 gal tank to 100% LED lighting and happy to report that I have not noticed any changes with the corals in the tank. Their colors really pop now as others have reported. So far I am very happy with the results. said:
good to hear - I ready to change out my other bulbs to LED's but need to do some study on color mixtures

what bulb combinations / intensity are you running for your normal daylight and are you happy with it?

Pete this is the combination that I am currently running using the Evolution lights. Evolution 20K

My next long term project will be to convert our 75 gal tank to LED lighting but like you will be doing more research on all new products that are becoming available. I will be looking at something that I can dim for one thing.

I just got the Kalk drip online and a big thanks to Marc for build the tank for me. The goal here was to replace the old system with a more user friendly one. Many of you know that I drip Kalkwasser (lime water) in our 200 gal tank long with a calcium reactor and two part. All this is necessary to keep up with the large calcium demand of that tank. The drip rate is set to match the evaporation rate of the tank so it is used as top off water as well. There is a ATO just in case the drip rate falls behind. This tank is located in the garage where the old one was.

Here are some pictures:

This is the bottom drain used to flush out the sediment.
DSC009361.jpg
alt="">

This is the output of the tank that connects to a IV hose.
DSC009381.jpg
alt="">

This is a picture of the acrylic doors on the top, there are two of them.
DSC009401.jpg
alt="">

Tank in final position in the garage.
DSC009421.jpg
alt="">

Leak test of the bulkheads and hoses.
DSC009431.jpg
alt="">

Here is the tank with Kalk added before it settles. This is 15 gallons of water and will last approx 6 days.
DSC009441.jpg
alt="">

This is the IV tubing and flow regulator that is located in the sump.
DSC00945.jpg
alt="">

The system is now online and working great.

By the way the corals are still looking good under the LED lights.

@kraigrrr wrote:
very cool... where do you have this located? said:
It is located out in the garage. There is also a 35 gallon RO/DI storage tank that supplies ATO water for all our aquariums located out there as well.

Glad it worked out for you. It looks good. So you are going to keep it on bar stools?

@Marc wrote:
Glad it worked out for you. It looks good. So you are going to keep it on bar stools? said:
[smilie=lol.gif] For now yes since we don't use them but I will eventually replace them with a stand. Since they are located in a garage they are not an eye sore for anyone but me and when I post them in pictures...

I couldn't see all of the pictures for some reasons, so... How do you prevent the Kalk from clogging?

@nobody wrote:
I couldn't see all of the pictures for some reasons said:
I had the same problem earlier, I think that Photobucket was having a problem. They seem to be OK now. To keep from clogging I flush the lines out with vinegar every two months and that does the trick.

@nobody wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Here is one last picture of the fish screen that I added to the open back of the canopy to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank. said:
This is nice! Would you please share where to get that net?

Thanks,"]
youca also get it at HD or lowes. most likely in the gardening section and if you ask someone where it is its called hardware cloth :)