The Washington Reef 75/200 Gal Reef Tanks

Wish you were close. I would defintely pick up some frags from you.You have some nice corals. Here it's hard to find good size frags. I truly dislike 1" frags !! I only buy um 3" or bigger. I don't mind paying a little more.

@washingtond wrote:
Moved this Birdsnest from the frag rack onto a rock in the tank. This is the frag that was part of Dave's contest. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC_00021-3.jpg[/img] alt=""> Here is what it looked like this past Feb 2010. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC_00091-1.jpg[/img] alt=""> April 2010. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC_00561-1.jpg[/img] alt=""> And June 2010. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC_00301.jpg[/img] alt=""> said:
cant wait for mine to get like that..

@washingtond wrote:
A view from the right end of our tank that was inspired by Ryan on a visit to our house on Sunday. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC007021.jpg[/img] alt=""> said:
When I came by, I felt like a parent in the 70's, complaining to his kid about how he needed his hair cut. You've got about 40 gallons of water in that reef. You need to change the subject to 75/40 Gal Reef Tanks. [smilie=lol.gif]

@washingtond wrote:
A view from the right end of our tank that was inspired by Ryan on a visit to our house on Sunday. [img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/dwashing/DSC007021.jpg[/img] alt=""> said:
that's insane [smilie=surprised.gif]

David

what are you keeping your Mg level at?

I know it's posted somewhere but I keep getting distracted by the beautiful pictures.

@psteeleb wrote:
David what are you keeping your Mg level at? I know it's posted somewhere but I keep getting distracted by the beautiful pictures. said:
It is at 1,600 ppm tested with a Elos test kit.

This LED light from Sunbrite looks like it may be a good choice for our 24" frag tank when it becomes available. It comes with a remote control for adjusting the light output between the white and blue LEDs and is only $249. I will be taking a closer look when more information comes out. Sunbrite LED

With the warmer weather here the work has begun on the canopy. I will be taking pictures of the progress this Sunday and will be posting them.

Here are some work in progress pictures of the canopy build.

3_11_4.gif
alt="">

In this picture are the frames for the front and back of the canopy.

The picture on the left is the front opening where the flip-up doors will go and the picture on the right is the back and where the LED light brackets will attach.

DSC09015.jpg
alt="">

In this picture are the front sections being glued together.

DSC09016.jpg
alt="">

Another view.

DSC090171.jpg
alt="">

I will be posting more pictures as the construction continues.

After listening to James Fatherree talk at this years Next Wave on how to reduce your electricity cost on our aquariums I decided to only run the skimmer at night when the lights our out. The skimmer uses a Mag 7 pump submerged in the sump and generates a good deal of heat. This in combination with the heat from the lights causes the chiller to run almost everyday of the year. During winter it comes on at least three times a day and quite a bit more during the summer. By running at night should reduce the heat in the tank that was added by the Mag 7. It is only a small amount in the overall but the savings should be even great when the LED lights are install with the new canopy.

I expect to save electricity on several fronts, first only running the Mag 7 half a day saving the electricity it consumes and heat generated. I will also save by not running the chiller as often. Remember several small things done add up to a large savings.

To achieve this I will putting the skimmer under the control of the Apex controller. Also signature status has been update to include the skimmer.

I will report on the results.

@washingtond wrote:
After listening to James Fatherree talk at this years Next Wave on how to reduce your electricity cost on our aquariums I decided to only run the skimmer at night when the lights our out. The skimmer uses a Mag 7 pump submerged in the sump and generates a good deal of heat. This in combination with the heat from the lights causes the chiller to run almost everyday of the year. During winter it comes on at least three times a day and quite a bit more during the summer. By running at night should reduce the heat in the tank that was added by the Mag 7. It is only a small amount in the overall but the savings should be even great when the LED lights are install with the new canopy. I expect to save electricity on several fronts said:
can't wait to hear how this works out.

I just ordered clean-up crew from Reggie Tropicals in the Florida that they went diving for today. The turbo snails and blue legged crabs should be in our tanks this Friday.

Today we received clean-up crew from Reggie's Tropicals that consisted of 100 large turbo snails and 25 blue legged crabs. Here are some pictures.

DSC007561.jpg
alt="">

DSC007541.jpg
alt="">

Here is the link for Reggie's Tropicals: [Reggie's Tropicals]

They are large and two days ago they were in the ocean. I talked to Reggie just before they went diving. I also got two large Peppermint Shrimp from them but they are hiding in the rock so I was able to get a picture.

@washingtond wrote:
After listening to James Fatherree talk at this years Next Wave on how to reduce your electricity cost on our aquariums I decided to only run the skimmer at night when the lights our out. The skimmer uses a Mag 7 pump submerged in the sump and generates a good deal of heat. This in combination with the heat from the lights causes the chiller to run almost everyday of the year. During winter it comes on at least three times a day and quite a bit more during the summer. By running at night should reduce the heat in the tank that was added by the Mag 7. It is only a small amount in the overall but the savings should be even great when the LED lights are install with the new canopy. I expect to save electricity on several fronts said:
Smart move David! If there is anytime that you need oxygenation it is at night. You'll save on your chiller and your heater!

David-

Been keeping up with your build for several weeks now, so I thought I'd throw in a comment to "officially" follow along as you post updates.

Beautiful tank, lots of good info in this thread.

Yuma

@Yuma wrote:
David- Been keeping up with your build for several weeks now said:
Thanks,

Tomorrow I hope to take more pictures of the canopy in the final stages of construction. It should be ready in a few more weeks for installation. I am really looking forward to adding the LED lights and removing the MH bulbs from the tank. It is time to change the bulbs as they are approaching a year old not and I really don't want to spend that money.

Here are some more pictures of the canopy frame that is almost complete. Remember there will be an outer skin and doors that still need to go on.

DSC00883.jpg
alt="">

DSC00882.jpg
alt="">

DSC00880.jpg
alt="">

DSC00879.jpg
alt="">

DSC00878.jpg
alt="">

This is the molding that will be going around the top of the canopy.
DSC00869.jpg
alt="">