The Tucker's Red Sea 650 build

Porcelain crab and rock flower anemone in their new 6 gallon nano him.
ybyvu2y5.jpg
alt="">

We also bought a red Solon fairy wrasse for the main dt bought a few palys as well. Red people eaters, Rastas, and eclipse 2. No pictures yet. The wrasse is hiding and the palys never opened fully after dipping before the lights went out. Hopefully pics to follow. All bought at Rift2Reef.

We also added a purple edged green montipora from franks tanks this weekend.

Matt

I mounted our new Pacific Sun Metis Hyperion S fixture over the tank today.

One last picture before the conversion
y4uzy7en.jpg
alt="">

The new look. I may need to lower it a little more. I'm getting quite a bit of reflection onto the wall. Maybe this is normal with LEDs.
ynaqy2yq.jpg
alt="">

It will definitely take some getting used to the look of LEDs. We still haven't gotten the colors dialed in where we want them. This is definitely a powerful fixture. The software is pretty simple too. I'll post more later.

We found our red head fairy wrasse on the floor behind the tank. He didnt make it one night before taking a leap. This is the fourth fish we've had jump out. My next project will be making a net of some kind to keep it from happening again.

Matt

Yeah, that really lights up the room, lol. Looks good though! As for a lid/cover, you could use window screen but unsure if you can get transparent for the light to pass through.

~Matt

This is what I use on my RSM. Works like a champ, the little plastic tabs that hold a screen window in place make great guides so I can easily slide it back for feedings and maintenance.

Total cost was maybe $30?

Love the tanks, been following along :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Screen came from good ol Bulk Reef Supply. Then the frame was from Home Depot.

Cool. Thank you very much. I want to order enough to do the home aquarium and the school aquarium. We lost our first fish in that tank a few weeks ago due to suicidal carpet surfing.

Was white the only color or did they have black plastic framing at Home Depot as well?

Matt

BRS sells the kits with everything ya need including the black frame. I only picked the frame from Home Depot since it was white, matching the trim kit of my RSM.

Update on the tank temp and chiller usage: the chiller had not been on since 1:30 yesterday afternoon. It probably would have kicked on about 9pm last night if I hadn't done a water change. The water change dropped it down to the chiller shutoff temp of 78.9. It's now. 11am and it has only gotten up to 79.7. It kicks on at 79.8. I haven't had a full day of running the LEDs without messing with the tank at all. However, my first impression of LEDs and removing the good is very positive. I think removing the hood helps a ton as well because the air moves more freely out of the top of the tank.

Nothing but positive on the pacific sun metis Hyperion s so far. The corals seem to be responding well so far. The chiller just kicked on for the first time since yesterday. So much of an improvement. Now we will see if it kicks on again today.

ygubygeq.jpg
alt="">

Matt

We originally ordered the black fixture. However, they sent us white. He had it in his notes that we wanted white. But, I had emailed that we wanted black. Yorgos at Imagine an Ocean took care of us. He refunded a 100 bucks and also walked me through the software and making sure that everything was set up correctly before I installed it over the tank. He spent over an hour with me on the phone going through everything the software has to offer. I'm actually glad there was a good up on the color. I think the white looks pretty good. My wife is still unsure. I think she still would prefer black.
ry6enapa.jpg
alt="">

Matt

The glow is not as bad as it was. I've messed with the colors a little bit so its not too bad. We like the white color look better. But it's hard to beat the pop of the corals with the blues and uv cranked up. Even there are no white LEDs on this fixture, you can still mix the colors to achieve the white look.

Matt

We have the lights dialed in pretty good now. No more major glow. We kinda like it now.

Got rid of the powder brown tang today. We traded him back for some corals tbd later. I can't believe I caught him. I miss that fish. It was the prettiest fish in the tank. I hope he enjoys his new home httorihanzo. My tank feels empty without the bully in my tank.

Matt

Lucky I guess. I have two nets that I placed inside the tank for about an hour. It took awhile to get him to come out far enough. But eventually I was able to get the net between him and the rocks. I caught him against the glass. It was easier than I thought. That powder brown is pretty fearless. He's the only fish that will come right up to me when I have my hands in the water.

This technique worked pretty well. I almost snagged the desjardini on accident. Once they got used to the net being in there they all chilled out a bit. I also think using a red net helps. The black net made them all scatter. The red net didnt scare them as bad.

Matt

Tank looked great Matt. Thanks for having me over to check it out and thanks for getting the powder brown nice and fat. I've missed having a Powder since getting rid of my Powder Blue. He hasnt started any bulling yet but I'm sure it will come. I'll get some nice frags to you asap.

Thanks. Maybe he will be happier in your tank. We bought a copperband butterfly today at Frank's Tanks. He's had it in his store for several weeks but we were holding off until we we got rid of the powder brown. Acclimating him now. Hopefully, he will get along with everyone else.

Matt

Copperband acclimated and in the tank. The desjardini is relentlessly chasing him. Hopefully it's just temporary. He has been chased to the too corner of the tank.
napy9ezu.jpg
alt="">

Matt