The start to my 180

I got my 180, and with the help of 3 friends got it up to the apartment. I'm not sure when I'm putting water in and moving the 120 into it.....(I do have some water "stains" on top and one side that won't come out, I've used a razor and both sides are smooth, suggestions are welcome!!!!!

the space
alt="">

Sand and 80 gallons of water from water changes this week
alt="">
alt="">

Dirty tank!
alt="">

clean tank
alt="">

alt="">

Try the vinegar on a rag and wipe it down. Still cant believe you got it that clean so fast and went so good with the move.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Ok, so yesterday the tank was clear enough to move. I started at 7 am, got everything over to the new tank late afternoon. losses and "oh noooooos," WP40's power pack fell in a container of water, no go. Ruge to sump didn't work, so I had to drain both and use my sump. Bio-pellets reactor had a slight leak and lost 5 gallons of water to the carpet. Wet vaccing at 5 am. A few other mishaps but nothing I can't live with. I did have a shorted maxi 1200 and when I put my hands in the tanks (cut at that) I had to figure which it was, which I did through the unplug method, but I went and bought a volt meter from Radio Shack.

So here's the product. 180 Oceanic (6 x 2 x 2) dual overflows, mag 12 return. I'm still using my Diablo 160 skimmer, bio-pellets with BRS reactor, carbon in a phosban reactor, GFO same. Dosing with Magus Bubble Doser. Lighting is 2 X 250 watt MH (Phoenix HQI 14K) and 2 T-5s for actinics. Reefkeeper Lite.

Here's the tank "new sand" waiting game, it took over 24 hours to settle and that's after spending 45 minutes per 40 lb bag to clean
alt="">

alt="">

Finished!
alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

it's interesting, all the coral in the pics came out of my 120, I haven't added anything, and can't afford to anyway [smilie=sadsmile.gif]

Nice looking tank, how did you cycle so fast? It seems like yesterday that I remember you asking for help to move the tank

Congrats looking good

@TheReeferBoss wrote:
Nice looking tank said:
Cycle? What's that?

Kidding. I moved the tank from a 120. I had kept all the water change water for the past week (and did a lot for the water), so the entire 180 was made up of "seasoned" water and the live rock out of my 120. I scrubbed the tank with vinegar and seeded the new sand. Even though I wasn't showing an ammonia spike I though some amquel in. So this post should be under "tank move" instead of tank build

@Dewana wrote:
What is that white pipe you have going along the top? said:
the pipe is holding the tank together [smilie=rofl.gif] . no actually it's a spray bar for the mag 12. the pipe fits into the return nozzle on each return bulkhead and it make for a consistent flow into the tank.

@Matt wrote:
You might consider adding some bacteria to help avoid that new tank syndrome though. We did that on our 120 and had great success. Did you seed the sandbed with some from the old tank? I think you did a great job on the swap. Sandbed looks really good. said:
thanks! yes, I put a cup of "old" sand in. I added some No3 PO4-X on Sunday night, might dose a bit tonight

I would dry that PVC pipe and spray paint it black to blend it with the background better.. If you really need it. Would only take a few hours to dry before raising the water back up.

Reef looks great but that white PVC sticks out too much.

@ReefGod wrote:
I would dry that PVC pipe and spray paint it black to blend it with the background better.. If you really need it. Would only take a few hours to dry before raising the water back up. Reef looks great but that white PVC sticks out too much. said:
Good idea. I'm not sure I like it anyway. It's pretty low and I wouldn't trust a few holes under the water line as far as back siphon. I might just go with "normal" returns.

No wonder he told me he was too tired to see straight.
That must have been some serious elbow grease!
Looking good.

Full brain transplant.