The best place to buy live rock?

[Hey where would you guys get your live rock? I have all my base rock but would like some nice decorative pieces. Hopefully cheaper than 8 bucks per pound. :blues:]

[the marine center is a great place to order online, they'll deliver up to 50 lbs to anywhere in north texas for $10.

themarinecenter.com

Mark]

@BigSlammy wrote:
[the marine center is a great place to order online said:
[That is a heck of a find, BigSlammy! Thank you for finding that!]

@Marc wrote:
[[I]@BigSlammy wrote:[/I][quote="the marine center is a great place to order online said:
That is a heck of a find, BigSlammy! Thank you for finding that!]"]
[Their fiji premium is not eactly that, but they are decent. I got some of my rock from them and some from PP. Note: I think they cheated me though. They shipped my rock at the end of the week and fedex local delivery kept it in a truck all weekend on a very hot weekend instead of delivering the day they should have. I didn't want it at that point, so I asked them to exchange it for another box, and I would swear they shipped the same one back to me. There was absolutely zero life on it. No plants, no crawly things that came out of it, no good coralline that lived even! And for the price you pay for fiji prem, that's pretty sucky. If it was not a fast one, then that was the worst shipment of fiji LR that I've ever taken, put it that way. They prob pulled a fast one on me and fedex there. The sour taste has gone away a bit, but I still haven't brought myself back to using them again yet.]

[i got the small amount that i got from pp. it is very nice and came with a multitude of copepods, white worm things, plenty of coraline, and a couple feather dusters. it was 7.99/lb. though. i couldnt afford all that i needed at once. my question is whether pp lr is cured well enough that i can slowly introduce small amounts into my tank without causeing a damaging amonia spike.]

[i have been very pleased with my 2 shipments from themarinecenter, and have always had it delivered the day expected. The first shipment was covered in corraline, the second not as much but still pretty good. Ive had a few dusters pop up, sponges, etc. Dont know, maybe i was lucky.

Mark]

[Kevin - Their phone's area code is 817... you should have been able to pick it up directly!

fingertip - If it smells clean and fresh, you can add rocks as you buy them. Just get them home quickly and back under water as fast as you can.

BigSlammy - I'd love to get lucky myself. (oops... you must have been talking aobut LR still. :D )]

[i also ordered from the marine center and they did the same thing, left on truck over weekend but i still accepted shipment, just had to cure longer than i wanted to.

not much life on rock at all, not even much coralline

i did try to pick up directly but they would not let me

for the price...yes, go with marine center, BUT if you already have base rock and want nice rock i would go hand pick from LFS or post under "wanted to buy" liverock and you should get some hits and that way you can look at exactly what you are getting!
good luck]

[fingertip-
If you make sure to smell the rock and it smells okay then you can add it to your setup tank.If you can buy 45 lbs or more we can cut the price down by selling you a box of rock.We are going to be getting in fresh Tonga Premium rock this weekend@ Planet Pet.Thanks]

[I ordered from Marine center and got some rock 15lbs. with no life visible little corraline that wasn't good or bad for the money. They did sell me a large star polyps rock it was covered in coraline and had little bumps on it but only about 2 polyps will come out the rest look like little bumps were they had previsly been on there but covered in coriline, they said they should come out in 2 to 3 weeks. Is this true? They also sent me what they called flower coral but it looks like a mushroom leather coral. I don't know what the deal is but I exepect a call back today to see if they will resolve any of the problems. The regal tang was wonderful looking but the medium looked small at about 3-4" . I'll let you know what happens. ???]

[I bought all of my live rock from Etropicals.com, it was about $300 for 160lbs. shipped to DFW. That is ususally the best bet , if you buy from someone whom will ship airport to airport. You have to go pick it up at DFW, but the shipping charge from Florida for 160lbs. was like $80. And it was covered in life, since they took it out of their tank in the morning and it was in mine that afternoon.]

[There are several options. Here's a place in town for $3.89, and instead of having to deal with The Marine Center shipping(killing half of the life), you can go and hand pick out your rock. Here's the link:

http://www.tranquilscape.com/custom%20reef%20aquarium.asp

They are in the Arlington area.

Other options include purchasing from Jeff's Exotic Fish. They will ship to DFW airport for approximately $50-$60 depending on the weight of rock purchased. Typical time out of water is less than 24 hours, and therefore more life on the rock. Here's the link:

http://www.exoticfish.com

Check out the livestock sale page for good deals on Vanisi and Marshall island. Here's a thread on the Vanisi:

http://reefcentral.com/forums....ND+rock

Lastly, and probably the best rock that can be purchased online, check out Harbor Aquatics. There are tons of places online, and many different opinions about which is the best. Here's the last link:

http://www.harboraquatics.com/Merchan....LR#desc

Good luck.

Bill]