Testing salinity - Using a refractometer

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[Slowly but surely I seem to be acquiring all the toys. My latest is a ATC (auto temp compensating) Refractometer. Travis got one too, as far as I know.

It is a very simple device to use. Looks a little like a telescope, about 6" long. You put 2 droplets of tank water on the lens, and look through the scope. It doesn't need batteries - all you do is point it at a light source. It displays your salinity precisely. I decided to test it against my two other testers:

Deep Six swing arm: 1.024
Glass Hydrometer: 1.025
Refractometer: 1.026

So it turns out that the rumors I heard were true, that the swing arm testers are inaccurate. My glass hydromter was closer, but not perfect. Plus there is a good chance I'd break that glass one some day, as they are pretty fragile.

I was able to get mine (as was Travis) for $40 shipped in a group purchase over on Reef Central. They usually run about double that price.]

[The first thing I did was calibrate it with distilled water. It should be testing perfectly. Good question!]

[Hey Marc,

I never regret the day I got mine, I know they are a little pricey, but the make life so much easier. :;):]

[It was so handy when I was mixing up new saltwater yesterday for my massive water change on my 29g. :laugh:

Because it gives me the correct reading regardless of temperature, I was able to get it right very quickly. Just needed to warm it up about 5 degrees and it was ready to use.]