Temperature Calibration

One of my biggest pains since getting into this hobby is wondering what the heck my tank temperature is! I'm like the man with two watches who never knows what time it is. :D

So I never really trusted the inexpensive thermometers and when I got an ACIII awhile back I knew that finally I had something I could count on. Well the ACIII probe said my tank was like 84 ! yikes.. well I cross checked with two other gauges and they both were in the 79 to 80 range. So I set the ACIII down 3 degrees and keep the tank at 79 according to that. But I've still never been satisfied with that. So recently I bought two more digital gauges. One says its 76... the other says its 77.3 or so. I've got another one on my TDS meter which says 28c which would be about 82.5 I think.

How or where do I get a reliable temp gauge to get a positive calibration for correction?

Thanks,

Stick it under your tongue and hold it there for 2 mins... 98.6. :)

Really... that would be a good way is to get a medical style mercury therm or one of those electronic ear ones.... they may not got that low but you could heat water to say 90 or so and then calibrate it.